using narcotics for chronic pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using narcotics for chronic pain

Hi. I have shared custody. Recently I was put on oxycontin for pain. It doesn't interfere with my daily activities but my ex has labeled me as a "controlled drug abuser" and therefore feels the child is not safe with me.

We are estimating that I will be on the drug for 6 months. Should I give up custody until then or should I tell her to go ahead and send CAS?

I am also on benzodiapines but have been on them since 2007 and most likely will stay forever. Separation occured 2 years ago.

Thanks.

I assume you are taking these meds as prescribed and supervised by your Dr, and you can get documentation to prove this. And that there have been no accidents/incidents while your child is with you. Possibly get a letter from your Dr saying there are no concerns that the meds taken as directed affect your ability to care for your child.

Tell her to go ahead and call CAS.

Comment

Buying OxyContin from the local drug dealer in a back alley could be considered drug abuse. Filling a prescription for OxyContin written by your doctor for pain relief is not. Your ex can take a hike.

(You probably know this already, but benzodiazepines and oxycodone can be a tricky combination - for your own sake, make sure your doctor is aware of all the medications you're taking)

Comment

How did Dinky know the gender? What I miss?

Agreements 2 years old and Moon you've were on Benz-whatever during the entering of your Sep Agree (so no problem here)

Just furnish OP with a nice version of what Dinky posted it's only a short term issue.

Of course I have no idea "what the underlying issues are" nobody goes straight to CAS unless there's big history here.

Comment

Lots of people go to CAS without any reason/justification at all.

If you separated two years ago - how does mom know what prescriptions you are on?

Call CAS yourself if you are concerned. Obtain info. Info is knowledge/power.

Why would you even consider giving up custody? I know emotions run high in times of heightened conflict but I can't even contemplate why you would willfully give up custody...

Comment

Invite her to go to court, you can be prescribed Oxycontin (oxycodone) for tooth pain...

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
              Hi. I have shared custody. Recently I was put on oxycontin for pain. It doesn't interfere with my daily activities but my ex has labeled me as a "controlled drug abuser" and therefore feels the child is not safe with me.

We are estimating that I will be on the drug for 6 months. Should I give up custody until then or should I tell her to go ahead and send CAS?

I am also on benzodiapines but have been on them since 2007 and most likely will stay forever. Separation occured 2 years ago.

Thanks.
              If you are a danger to the children then why didn't the prescribing doctor contact CAS (as they would be clinically obligated to do) themselves when they wrote the script?

Also, you are under NO OBLIGATION to disclose your personal health (unless court ordered to do so) to the other parent. Why even tell the other parent what you are prescribed or any detail of your personal health information?

Good Luck!
              Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X