X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paternity Test

Hi,

I am not sure if I am the father of ex's children. How would I go about getting paternity tests? Who would pay for this? How much is it? Does it have to go through the courts?

Thanks In Advance.

I would think that if you are pressing the issue, it would be your expense.
    I'm not sure where you live, but I would guess you call up a DNA or Genetics lab in the area and enquire.

Comment

Paternity Test

I live in Toronto, if that helps. So you don't think I would have to get some sort of court document ect...?

Comment

Why? Get the test and use it if you want.

Comment

Is your ex seeking support/etc.? Even if you are not the children's father, depending on how long you were in the picture/involved it can be argued you were acting "in loco parentis" (basically in place of a parent) and be held accountable anyway.

You can always argue you aren't the father and request a test be done, what will happen is that you will have to pay for your test, she will have to pay for hers/the childrens. IF it comes out that you are NOT the father (assuming she's going to contest that and say you are) then she has to reimburse YOU for your costs and suck up the costs for hers.

IF you ARE the father, YOU suck up your costs and reimburse HER for hers AND the kids. The cost is around $300/each or so if I recall correctly and takes a couple of weeks to process.

Comment

I went through this issue. In the end I paid for the test so I knew how to proceed. Don't let a few hundred bucks cloud your judgement. By the time this is over you will be into it for more then that. What I found useful is do not take the cheapest test out there. From the general comments I have heard there are supposedly only a few DNA testing companies that control who does the test and some ship the tests to 3rd party companies out of country. You want to consider if you want this DNA test result in the hands of people who may use it for malicious purposes. The example given to me was say 10 years from now your DNA shows up in some case out of country. (like china for instance because the process costs are cheap but the security is questionable). I never thought of it so I found a company the government uses and paid more but I have peace of mind the information was secure. It may be hearsay but felt it better I considered this. I did my research before proceeding.

Comment

Paternity Test

Hi,

Thanks to all the replies.

Do you know which ones are covered by the gov't? I don't mind putting out the money up but I want peace of mind either way, not my DNA shipped overseas...

Thank You...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X