Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e transfers

I was wondering how it works.

I have an acquaintance who lives in the states who owes me money. After sending one check he decides he wants to send the money directly from his account to mine, all he needs is my account information. Due to the his lies etc in the past about paying me back I am very hesitant to give out that kind of personal information to him. I don't trust him.

For an e transfer does he need my account number for that also?

I am fairly sure they don't. I had a guy e-transfer me some money for work I did for him, and he had nothing but my email.

When you get the email with the transfer, it lists a bunch of financial institutions. You click yours, enter your username and password. You do the deposit on your end, all he has to do is send the email.

Comment

E transfer is normally done as a payor in the senders bank account. You set up the payee with their email address and then when the email comes to you it allows you to choose.

Id be wary though. If they do it that way, the bank offers up american bank options so you may not be able to accept the amount if youre banking in Canada. You would also be better off getting a money order for the cost due to exchange rates. I have a US store credit card and cannot pay it with either my Canadian credit card or via bank transfer. Theres problems with cross border banking.

If you have a US bank account you should be ok.

Comment

You absolutely do not need to give him your account info, all he needs is your email address and he can send the money to you.

Comment

thanks people. I will float the idea by him and see if he will agree.

Comment

I do etransfers every month, he should just send it to an email address you have registered with your bank etransfer settings and he will send you the password, you click the link and follow directions, as long as you both are set up for that it should work. Once you accept that transfer its all yours.

Some banks allow transferring funds between clients like you would transfer to a bill payment online, not all of them have this set up yet.

Comment

you cannot e-transfer us to Canada. he can do a bank transfer but for that he does need your banking information. we did many tranferscwhen doing business with us clients... cant remember the name but there is a number that the bank will need to give for a transfer from us

Comment

Set up a new account just for this purpose. PC financial has free banking. Then give him all the details so he can deposit the money in your account. I'd personally never deter someone from repaying me....

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X