Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So long as the government refrains from forcing people to get divorce insurance, the model has a hope in hell of being beneficial.

The problem with most market "failure" in various insurance arises from the fact that coercive monopolies are enforced by the government -- as such, the suppliers are insulated from people who vote with their feet.

Originally posted by rwm1273 View Post
    If people are willing to buy this, then how committed are they to marriage in the first place?
    Irrelevent if inlaws become the main customers.

Comment

Originally posted by AnarX View Post
      Irrelevent if inlaws become the main customers.
      LOL...if my inlaws purchased it, I might just be peeved enough to divorce...what are they teaching their children??? And do I want to be married to THAT, my kids taught by THAT? No thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by InterprovincialParents View Post
        And do I want ...
        Irrelevent if they buy it without your knowledge. The model still works!

Comment

I can just see this kind of thing adding to the financial issues during a divorce. If one spouse gets divorce insurance and they do divorce then how is the money split? Does it go to the paying spouse or is it split between the two because it was paid for out of the marital wallet? Does one spouse get more because they make less money? If the other person cheated or caused the divorce do they get less or none??

Blech - perhaps if the couple spent the money on date nights together they wouldn't need a divorce.

Comment

To the original poster doing the research, I would not have purchased it. I am now re-married and even after going through a very expensive divorce from my first marriage I would not purchase it. It seems to be a bit of a cash grab as the premiums are very expensive to even give you the funds you need to cover a simple divorce never mind a long drawn out battle full of conflict. The money you would pay in premiums would be better served in a high interest savings account if indeed you were putting some aside "just in case". It is also a bit of a moral issue for me too.

Comment

Originally posted by lbourg View Post
              Hello,

I'm a freelance journalist based in Toronto, and I'm currently working on an article about the newly-available divorce insurance: Divorce Insurance: Getting a Payout After Marriage Ends - TIME

Basically, this insurance pays out just like any other insurance - you contribute a monthly fee, and if you get divorced after four years of marriage you earn a premium.

I'm trying to gauge interest in Canada, where it is now also available. Do you wish you had divorce insurance? Would it have made things easier? Or do you think it would have been a waste of time?

Thanks!
              This is a joke right - not a funny one but a joke.

Comment

i don't see this as being fiscally viable for the insurer given divorce rates.

Regardless, it would seem like betting against my marriage - and I wouldn't purchase this product.

Comment

So if geeting insurance is morally wrong, would a prenup be the same? And seriously, how many divorced people here that have re-married did not get a prenup the second time around.

I'm all for good morals and "life long commitment" but the law is not fair when it comes to every situation in custody and divorce.

Comment

I might consider buying it if they called it:

"The Dude You Just Married Might be a Dick" Insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post

Hahahaha! There's a whole lot of opportunity for a line of insurance policies like this!

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post

Or you could call it "The gold digger you just married might be in it for your money" insurance

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X