Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:17 AM

LovingDad1234 is on a distinguished road
Default Lawyer charged Costs

Wasn’t quite sure which thread it was in, but there was discussion where lawyers ethics was debated— for ill-advising their clients to not settle a reasonable offer, suggesting they go for the moon, or being the cause of conflict in playing the game, or purposefully causing delay or driving up costs.

My ex and her lawyer (at the time) needlessly pulled every tactic to drive up my costs when they saw their ship sinking. Lawyers are supposed to aid the court and help get cases resolved, not purposefully bankrupt the other side so that they can no longer afford legal representation, hoping they give in.

Here is a case where a lawyer was tasked with paying costs. Decision of Justice Grant Campbell in CAS v. C.T and J.B, 2017). Sorry I don’t know how to hyperlink.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:34 PM

Kinso is an unknown quantity at this point

The original judgement where the lawyer was ordered pay costs can be found here: http://canlii.ca/t/h41d9, the citation is C.A.S. of the R.M. of W. v C.T. and J.B., 2017 ONSC 3188 (CanLII),

However, this decision was appealed and the Ontario Court of Appeal reversed this ruling and decided the lawyer should not pay costs. The ONCA judgment is here: Children's Aid Society of the Regional Municipality, 2017 ONCA 931 (CanLII)

Appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada was sought, but denied. http://canlii.ca/t/hsqn0
Old 04-28-2020, 01:11 PM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

My lawyer- (is he still my lawyer? hopefully I'm done iwth him for now...anyways)- when I was researching all his cases for a consultation, I read one where he, personally, got hit with costs because the court found his behaviour kinda outrageous. It did give me pause- but that's what I was looking for at the time- someone who was willing to play the mindgame of chicken well. And he did. That time, however, lol he got hit in the face.