Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:01 AM

sahibjee is on a distinguished road
Default Complaint against a Judge!

Has anyone made a complaint against an ontario court judge? I am interested in learning from the experience. I have recently learnt that case conferences are recorded and can be retrived with the judge's approval. I am betting the Ontario Judicial Council does not need approals from the judge against whom the complaint is being made.

If that is true then we could put a resonable restraint to judicial misconduct by launching some quality complaints.

If no one has experience then even your suggestions are welcome as I believe I have a substantial case against a family court judge.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:26 PM

youngdad91 is on a distinguished road

Judges can have nasty attitudes. Towards parents, lawyers, clinicians, teachers, and sometimes children.

There is a complaint I have about a judge i have appeared before but I have been asked by my lawyer to file it once my case has been settled. If you file a complaint about a judge in your courtroom, the judges will talk and all the judges will know. They are not supposed to talk to one another disclosing confidential information but boy do the judges ever talk with one another. Judges are close working colleagues. You don't want to be the parent they warn each other to watch out for. At least not until after you have won your case.

There are many professionals i can't wait to file complaints to their governing body's about - the minute my final order gets issued. Or maybe not in case I need to go back into court in the future. D finitely will be filing a complaint to the college of social workers regarding the OCL social worker that was assigned to my case. I actually can't wait. Already filed a complaint about my last lawyer. Felt damn good to have a complaint registered under her account.

Final words - you have a right, and are encouraged to complain about things that don't seem and are not right. Just play it smart, and decide if it's worth it, given the tenancy of judges to stereotype those who like to complain as unfit parents (in their own little minds) .

If you can wait until you've won your case (assuming your trial may be before a different judge) - or in the event your ex agrees to settle. Then do that, and brag about your success with the ethical judge to the governing body - to put down the judge you are complaining about.

If you've already lost your case and appeal, but know that you were being reasonable and the judges were just being unfair/biased, then yes, complain about every single judge who screwed you over in the way.

Nothing irritates highly paid professionals more then receiving a complaint from their governing body about someone who they royally screwed over. They will know they will expect it again if they ever think about screwing another citizen over. So hopefully, they will think twice next time.

That being said, the judge I thought screwed me over, because of her uncalled comments, ended up giving me an order that was sort of in my favour, and gave me even more when we went back after her mistake. My lawyer knew if she did not give me the order sort of in my favour and didn't fix her mistake, that i would have filed a complaint without a question. But the judge still ended up giving me a small costs order, that I will be filing a complaint about to her governing body. Hopefully, that judge will think twice about making uncalled for costs orders.

Last edited by youngdad91; 08-12-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:15 AM

backinthesaddle is on a distinguished road
Default Not much happens...

I have made a formal complaint but wasn't a family court judge. You can only make a complaint about their conduct and not their decision so if that is your issue I wouldn't bother. The complaints seem to get swept under the rug. It is a small incestuous world and the judge will be playing golf or be in social circles with everyone's lawyer. Mine was very serious and I had a lawyer make a formal complaint on my behalf due to conduct. Nothing happened.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:49 PM

sahibjee is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for the feedback, I actually won the motion to change, but not until I twisted the judge's arm by getting the ex to agree during the motion that the judge had helped her a lot along the way, and pointed out all those illegal helps one by one.

in this motion alone during the case conferences the judge suggested to the other party to commit fraud by getting a doctor's note stating they cannot work even though the party never even suggested that they were sick! During the next case conference the other party produced a note saying they have some sickness, but the doctor did not write that she cannot work, the judge still wanted to give the other party a break from paying child support based on a note from a walk-in clinic!

I protested, and then on the spot, the judge wanted to turn the case conference into a motion, and ordered me to question the other party, I protested and said I'm not ready for questioning, as this is a case conference and I did not come prepared for a motion. She then proceeded to reserve costs for the conference and told me that there are repercussions for not listening to her.

She has done many such things over the year to give illegal brakes to the other party, and she bullies me into agreeing into her illegal suggestions. This time I resisted and won, however her judicial bullying has gone on for way too long. And I need to put a stop to it.

Last edited by sahibjee; 08-15-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:11 AM

youngdad91 is on a distinguished road

you should definitely file a complaint based on what you have written here. though keep in mind the judges did give you what you wanted.