This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Calculating Child Support Payments

My ex and I have 50% shared custody of our 14 year old son. Our son is with us each 50% of the time. I work part-time, (my choice because I want to stay home with my current husband and my son who is 4 years old), My ex works full-time. The salary difference is approx. $20,000-$24,000, my ex making more than me. Is $350.00 a month support payment too much money for him to be paying me in child support? Is there a website that anyone is aware of that calculates approx. child support payments?

It sounds wonderful that you're concerned about your ex OVERPAYING??!!!! That's a switch from the norm; good for you.
    I would expect that if the time is divided 50-50, and assuming both you and your ex's house are outfitted with your son's necessities (i.e. you don't buy all of his things and exchange them between the houses) the support may be a little steep.
    If your ex makes good money,can pay this sum, and is fine with the amount then I would say go for it--university and college is expensive and, I've never seen a DECREASE in tuition. Maybe you could put the extra money in an education fund education fund; be sure you can still withdraw the amount if he decides to NOT go for a higher learning institute.
    My children won't reach teenage years for awhile and I'm already thinking of how I'll pay for their formal education, if they choose to go.
    Just thought I'd give my input.
    I wish all ex's could be as accommodating as yours.

Comment

Parent,

In 50-50 shared custody situations,

One method commonly used is to take the respective tabled amount that each parent would pay to the the other parent as if they had sole custody and subtract payable amounts from the other. The resulting amount would be the amount of payable child support that would be deemed reasonable.

The federal child support guidelines are located here

http://canada.justice.gc.ca/en/ps/sup/grl/ligfed.html

Ontario child support guidelines are located here

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/R...391_e.htm#BK11

Comment

I choose to work part-time. Can the courts calculate my income...

as if I was working full-time to determine calculations for support payments. (I choice to work part-time because I wanted to spend more time with my 4 year old from my current husband), can the court still base the salaries on what I would have been making full time against my ex's full-time job? Or can I use the quidelines to calculate support based on the difference of my part-time salary and his full time job?

Comment

Yes, just an opinion,

If you are under-employed, the courts can impute an income and usually do.
          Support of a first child is paramount and will take precedence.

Working part-time especially in a volunteer manner due to looking after a subsequent child or subsequent husband really is irrelevant. First family rule of thumb. Courts most likely would not not give this consideration.

Comment

To clarify my situration, I guess I'm saying that orginally my ex was paying child support of $350 per month, but since that time My 14 year old does'nt need after school daycare and therefore there is a material change in circumstance. Since then I have chosen to work part-time and our difference of salarys are large. I put a hold on my payment from the Family Responsiblity Office and he's not been paying me for over a year. We share 50%/50% custody. I guess my question is should I get an amendment to the agreement and make the payments my ex as to pay lower (no daycare costs anymore), or should I just not worry about getting anymore money from him?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X