Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:54 AM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

I would 100% ignore this. It is irrelevant, and does not require a response to the ex in any way.

If the kid asks about it, simply explain that it was purchased by you for him to use at your home.

If/when the kid gets older and potentially has a cell phone, he will likely want to have that at both houses and its practical to let him bring it back and forth given he will probably be taking it everywhere else with him anyway.

You have no obligation to respond to every shitty email the ex sends you.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:37 PM

kate331 is on a distinguished road

I'm kinda on the fence on this one. Ange purchased this as a gift for the child, now it comes with strings attached. If it belongs to the child, then I think it should go with the child. I dont see it any differently then the child going to a friends house and taking it.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:13 AM

mom22girls is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate331 View Post
I'm kinda on the fence on this one. Ange purchased this as a gift for the child, now it comes with strings attached. If it belongs to the child, then I think it should go with the child. I dont see it any differently then the child going to a friends house and taking it.

I agree. My kids are allowed to take anything they own freely to the other parents. We try to get stuff back, but it doesn’t always happen.

I get around this with electronics, by not giving them as a gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2019, 09:19 AM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange71727 View Post
...Son was thrilled with this and started bringing it back and forth between our home and school.
I told him it wasn’t going to go to his dad’s house...

So there wasn't any issue with him bringing it other places until you made it one. 12 is a good time to have son learn about responsibility, and taking care of his stuff (ex. Chromebook). If it gets broken at school, are you expecting the school to cough up a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange71727 View Post
...Am I being petty?...

Yes.

Last edited by dad2bandm; 02-11-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:43 AM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

My ex does this to me all the time with our kids phone or ipad. If the device should come to my house there is always the threat that if something should happen to it at my place, I would have to cover it. So if the kid should hypothetically throw it out the window, that would be my fault and I would have to cover it.

This is a good opportunity to teach the child about responsibility. If the child breaks the device, the child should be the one on the hook. Yeah, if your ex breaks it themselves, then they should replace it. But to suggest that the ex should be responsible for a careless child is unfair.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:40 PM

Asphenaz is on a distinguished road

I don't think you're being petty. As many have said, you don't have to reply or even address your ex's concerns. It's difficult to deal with an unreasonable ex, but don't punish your child because of it.

You should use this as a teaching opportunity. Only you know how 'mature' your child is. My d12 and S13 both have iPods that they bring back and forth. Both of them got 'dropped' but they knew I would not fix if that happened. I also got several texts from my S13 that the ex had 'confiscated' his iPod / Rubix cube collection for unreasonable reasons.

He wanted me to intercede in his behalf. I was able to explain we had two different households with different rules and consequences and I could not get involved.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:09 AM

backinthesaddle is on a distinguished road

My kids have laptops and Chromebook that I bought and I let them take it to and from. I personally think its petty to say the kids can't take it back and forth. My kids would also think its petty and call me out on it if I refused to let them. It is no big deal. The school Chromebooks are horrible. My son does his homework on his so I wouldn't do this to him. Same with sports gear. It goes back and forth. We don't buy two sets of hockey and lacrosse gear for them. Rules for all apply at the home they are in if taken awayfor disciplinary reasons.