Help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!!

I have a trial management conference in 2 days and I thought that me and the ex we're going to settle before then but it didn't fall through. He is requesting to hold funds until I leave the property and inspects for damages. He is going to try and stick me with damages but there are none. I just fired my lawyer because I cannot afford the back and forth anymore. I am now self represented have no job and a 6 month old baby from the relationship. The lawyers were trying to draft a consent order which he initially agreed through correspondence to pay a 1 time lump sum, but is now trying to switch it to two payments. If we don't have the consent order done before Thursday what do I do? I need to apply for legal aid and also asked him to do mediation today with no response. Please help! He left me when I was 6 months pregnant came back and then left again when the baby was 6 weeks old. He said if I don't sign the prenup he's leaving. And so he did. And here I am.

Your TMC is in 2 days so not a great time to have fired your lawyer, expecially being so unprepared.

So invite him to come for a walk through of the property, you will have taken pictures already to show the condition so he cannot claim any damages. Have a witness with you and record the walk through.

It is unlikely a judge will agree that you should have to go somewhere else and await payment until after the fact when your relocation is dependent on the financial obligation from him.

What is his reasoning for wanting two payments instead of 1?

Comment

Unfortunately I could not afford to bring the lawyer with me to the TMC.

He comes to the house three times a week because we have a nesting arrangement right now. And claims the dogs peeing in the backyard have ruined the grass and there's finger prints on the walls and the floors are damaged. Just unreasonable.

He wants to give me a payments upfront and then I have 30 days to leave and on the day I leave he will pay the rest upon inspection of damages. He's going to try and hold money back I know it. I'm already accepting a low offer because I cannot afford to fight anymore. So I don't want to be mickle and dimed for damages as well.

Comment

Also do you know what the rules are on officially accepting an offer to settle? Can I back out of this offer because we can't agree upon how the funds are disbursed? Or once it's in writing that you accept is it official? Do I not need to sign for an offer to be officially accepted?

Comment

Grass grows. Did you have the dogs when you both lived there?

Fingerprints are washable -and part of having kids. If you have a nesting agreement them he is technically also living there and taking care of the place. Perhaps he could be inspired to...clean.

Is this a matrimonial home or a rental?

If you agreed to something and he is changing the terms after you do t have to agree to the changes.

Comment

Also, if he is there regularly, he knows what condition the property is in so can't see why he would require an inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpedatlowestpoint View Post
              He said if I don't sign the prenup he's leaving. And so he did. And here I am.
              Normally I would say he did the right thing, but he has a kid now so he is screwed regardless. At least he doesn't have to pay SS.

He is requesting to hold funds until I leave the property and inspects for damages.
              Who inspects for damages, your ex? Maybe an official inspection, but why would you be the one who is responsible for the damages?

He is going to try and stick me with damages but there are none.
              All houses have damage, and if he is the one doing the inspecting he'll find a whole bunch. No judge would allow this.

The lawyers were trying to draft a consent order which he initially agreed through correspondence to pay a 1 time lump sum, but is now trying to switch it to two payments.
              Maybe he can't get all the money at once? Doesn't seem to be too unreasonable.

have no job and a 6 month old baby from the relationship.
              You are female, unemployed, and the mother of an infant. You are the best possible parent in the eyes of family law, since you can devote yourself full time to the upbringing of your precious child. I wouldn't worry too much, it is extremely unusual for women in your situation to lose.

Comment

I have a trial management conference in 2 days and I thought that me and the ex we're going to settle before then but it didn't fall through.
                Discuss this with the judge at the TMC. If you are close the likelihood that a judge can get you to settle before the trial at the TMC is very high. A lot of matters settle at TMC.

If you are close the judge won't want the matter to go to trial.

He is requesting to hold funds until I leave the property and inspects for damages.
                If this is the breaking point on the agreement the judge at the TMC will crap all over them for such nonsense. No reason to go to trial for something so stupid.

He is going to try and stick me with damages but there are none.
                This is an odd thing to request. The judge at the TMC will crap all over this nonsense. Sounds like you really need a judge to mediate the nonsense. So going to a TMC in 3 days could be a good thing.

I just fired my lawyer because I cannot afford the back and forth anymore.
                Depending on the justice you get this may be a good thing at the TMC. (I know i sound crazy.) So long as you demonstrate you are willing to compromise you could get the upper hand easily and a judge may really press them hard to settle.

I am now self represented have no job and a 6 month old baby from the relationship. The lawyers were trying to draft a consent order which he initially agreed through correspondence to pay a 1 time lump sum, but is now trying to switch it to two payments.
                This is common to do though. People often realize late that they don't have the funds to may one single payment and then request too. I would recommend you accept this term. Nothing nefarious about it.

If we don't have the consent order done before Thursday what do I do?
                You get it done at the TMC with the assistance of a judge.

I need to apply for legal aid and also asked him to do mediation today with no response.
                Too late for legal aid. Also, you were previously paying for a lawyer that you fired. Generally, you have already demonstrated you can pay your legals. I wouldn't count on Legal Aid coming through.

Good Luck!
                Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                  You are female, unemployed, and the mother of an infant. You are the best possible parent in the eyes of family law, since you can devote yourself full time to the upbringing of your precious child. I wouldn't worry too much, it is extremely unusual for women in your situation to lose.
                  The other parent has already secured a status quote of 2-2-3 it appears... with a nesting arrangement in the home. Suffice to say, the child has won already having both parents involved. Hopefully this nonsense doesn't escalate and make the parenting arrangement conflicted.

Comment

The nesting can't last, and she can stay at home and watch the child. The kid isn't going to win this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                      The nesting can't last, and she can stay at home and watch the child. The kid isn't going to win this one.
                      Nesting won't last. Nesting orders are very temporary. Also, she can't stay home. Status quo isn't established as a stay at home parent. Recently unemployed. Clearly the other parent in this matter has gotten some sound legal advice.

The kid has already won. Just because one parent is underemployed doesn't mean much these days. Especially if they have a rich employment history previous to their unemployment.

Comment

I want to thank everyone for their support. I have been to th courthouse today to speak with flic and file my form 4. Although it was too late to file I will walk it in tomorrow. Flic is very helpful. I was surprised although the lawyer seemed a little off set. But anyways. I have been in contact with the exs lawyer and damn do I wish I represented myself a long time ago. A nice woman and very helpful. We agreed to pay it in one lump sum and if ex feels thet are extraordinary damages that we'll have the listing agent to assess. As he is a third party neutral. So tomorrow we walk in with the consent order. She also is trying to get me to sign the separation agreement tomorrow but I'm going to see if I can get a lawyer in the flic office or duty counsel to glance it over before I sign. Is that possible? Anything major I should look for? Seems ok from what I've read. should I request that he can't come after for me regarding property tax joint line of credit and home insurance ? As those were in my name as well and I didn't see them mentioned there. Also we are doing 2 separate agreements. One for spousal and house. And one for child. But in the consent order under final we didn't list a number for s7 expenses. Just says something about shar d respective to incomes. Is that ok???? I feel like self rep has gotten me further then my blood sucker lawyers have. Just saying.

Comment

Btw I am 25 years old and a nurse. Ex is a doctor. Just in case you all were curious. Am I the youngest here? Damn. I am now very educated and have valuable life lessons moving forward. And btw I don't appreciate the comment about I would have run too about the prenup. You can't spring a prenup on someone with a planned pregnancy while they're 6 months pregnant and ditch. What kid of moral integrity is that? It was a very unfair prenup that left me basically with nothing.

Comment

And yes the nesting won't last as I'm moving soon to my own home that's in a different municipality. Not too far and he has consented to this. Also he is paying spousal just in a lump sum. He told me to quit my job and that he'd support me. I have case law to prove my entitlement. Even though it was a short Cohab period of 19 months.

Comment

Prenups are to protect the party with the assets. They generally make concessions for the other party over an extended period of time. 19 months is not an extended period of time. Why is he paying you SS?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X