Some thoughts that might augment discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some thoughts that might augment discussions

I've noticed that over the past little while that many of the posts by many different people have been, at least in my opinion, rather emotionally charged. This is not intended for anyone in particular, although perhaps some could likely benefit more than others from reading this.

Ya, I'll probably get blasted for posting these but I sense there is a disconnect between the intent of the forum and what has been taking place recently.

In any event, these are typical ground rules found in most any peer support group. I wonder if we would be more successful in our efforts to share and receive information if we were to follow some or all of these?

...It just seems there is a lot of shit slinging, finger pointing, and all around negative commentary that does nothing to add value to a lot of conversation taking place. It would seem obvious to me that we are all under a lot of stress as it is given our less than ideal situations that bring us to this forum to begin with and we could all benefit from a more supportive and positive forum.

1. Share feelings and experiences, but not advice.
    2. Accept each other without making judgments.
    3. Listen to each other. Give everyone an opportunity to share.
    4. Avoid interrupting or having side conversations.
    5. Have a positive attitude.
    6. Be respectful and sensitive to others.
    7. Be supportive and encouraging to each other.
    8. Refrain from using offensive language.
    9. This group is for discussion/support, not debate. No one is right; no one is wrong.
    10. Talk about yourself and your own experience. You may ask questions of others, but do not challenge the validity of another’s personal experience.
    11. We share feelings and experiences just as they are. There are no right or wrong statements.
    12. Each person knows what is best for her or himself, and therefore carries the primary responsibility for her or his well-being.
    13. When speaking, use “I” statements, rather than “we,” “you,” or “they.”

14. Please focus on your feelings, not opinions.
    15. Avoid individual problem solving. Individuals can learn from one another’s experiences to solve their own problems.
    16. When a person posts, the others should actively read with the goal of relating the poster’s experiences to their own.
    17. It is empowering and healing for us to gather ideas that can benefit us. No one of us is an expert and no one knows what is best for another.

...It just seems there is a lot of shit slinging, finger pointing, and all around negative commentary that does nothing to add value to a lot of conversation taking place.
    Or people take constructive criticism and/or opposing viewpoints as negative commentary based on their own personal agenda.

It would seem obvious to me that we are all under a lot of stress...
    I can't say that I'm under any stress these days. Except that I'm having trouble deciding which kind of peanut butter I want to buy.

1. Share feelings and experiences, but not advice.
    Huh? Most people come here for advice and save their "feelings" for real life.

Its literally impossible for the human mind not to judge. Our brain is designed to filter and judge information. And personally, I think its helpful to judge the content of the posts on this forum. When someone is doing the wrong thing...judgements should be made...If you want to stand in a circle, holding hands singing Kumbaya to someone alienating their kids, for instance, you're probably in the wrong place.

Listen to each other. Give everyone an opportunity to share.

Or just ignore spammers and stop letting them derail threads.

Matter of perception. People who don't get their positions validated on here often lash out at other posters. It doesn't mean those posters don't have a positive attitude.

9. This group is for discussion/support, not debate. No one is right; no one is wrong.
    LOL...totally disagree. There's lot of people who are wrong and doing the wrong things.

I could go on but there's no point...

This isn't a therapists office, its a divorce forum. My suggestion would be to liberally use ignore on posters whom don't offer useful advice or that spam and derail threads. And take all advice given with a grain of sand...ie, consider it if its helpful but do what you think is ultimately right. Realize that this is a group of people on the internet. If you don't like what they have to say, you're a grown up and can simply disregard it.

I have zero intention of getting all touchy feely on here because someone doesn't like what I have to say. They can ignore me whenever they please, the function is available.

I truly hope this forum doesn't turn into a touchy-feely support group...ugh.

Comment

17. It is empowering and healing for us to gather ideas that can benefit us.

By the way, I use this place more as an advice forum (some good, some bad) than a "peer support group". I don't come here to get emotional support at all. Personally, I prefer to get that in a different setting. I find it bizarre that someone would use a forum of this type to "heal."

I find the differing opinions and constructive criticism here to be one of the biggest benefits of this forum.

Frankly, I find someone trying to lecture users on how they should tailor their responses to what they think is more suitable, rather overbearing and controlling.

Again, the ignore function is available to every forum member if you find other people too judgemental for your tastes but its not ok to tell them what to say and how to say it.

Comment

For the most part I would agree with PH. This is a place to discuss issues, and part of that discussion, especially with newbies, is to break down some of their preconceived ideas about the law, the courts, the process and so on. People do come here full of emotion and are quick to anger and to take offense.

I think we should recognize that, and sometimes temper our responses, but I don't see why we should suffer bullies and mysogenists to get away with their rants. Ideally we self moderate, and only rely on the moderators when things get too far gone.

We do have to give each other a little room to be human, to say inappropriate things and ask for forgiveness on occasion.

But I wouldn't want us to feel constrained from sharing honest opinions, even when feelings can get hurt.

Comment

We do have to give each other a little room to be human, to say inappropriate things and ask for forgiveness on occasion.
          I guess my experience since I've been visiting this place is that most of the posters (aside from a few notable attention-whore trolls) really do try hard to comprehend what a person is saying and try to answer their questions or help point them in the right direction. I've never not seen someone not either apologize or amend their response if they've misconstrued the poster or what they said.

Unfortunately there are people that come here who are belligerent about doing things either not in their own best interest or not in the best interest of their children. When their bad behavior is questioned, they get defensive and double-down on their original position. They only want to hear opinions that validate what they're doing. When they don't get what they want, they get defensive, ticked off or start projecting at the responding poster.

I have zero interest in trying to control either the content or the manner of whatever anyone says to me here. I put the useless trolls on ignore and, as a grown woman, I'm perfectly capable of filtering the advice that I get as relevant/helpful or not so relevant/helpful. But I appreciate almost all the opinions, even if they don't agree with mine.

Comment

Agree - no 'touchy-feely' please.

I believe there is a section of this forum aptly named "divorce support" which might be a better place to talk about stress from divorce, etc.

This is not a counselling forum. Rules of the forum are clearly set out.

Comment

I should have put more thought in my choice of words in the original post as I didn't mean to infer it should be a support group at all. And yes, many of us do come here for advice.

I guess what I mean to say that there is a lot of unnecessary negativity. And by that I don't mean when someone simply disagrees with you or has their own opinion that is very different than yours. I just see no value in the name calling and having to weed through posts on a thread that you might be genuinely interested in and have to filter out all the bleeps lol.

I wasn't lecturing btw, I clearly said: I wonder if we would be more successful in our efforts to share and receive information if we were to follow some or all of these? Of utmost importance was the question mark at the end of that sentence

Comment

Serene: I think nice people are awesome. Every year, I make a New Year's resolution to be nicer and I arrange an appointment to have an exorcism but it never takes. As a consequence, (in the words of Popeye)...I y'am what I y'am (and I'm just too old to change.)

But its probably not a wasted effort to try to remind people to be kinder where they can. I would disagree that there's a lot of unnecessary negativity from the regular (non-troll) posters...quite the opposite. Although I suppose if you're a stickler for not using curse words you may run into some issues in some posts. But this is an adult forum.

Frankly, I will admit that I personally like the tough edge to the forum. Its a constant reminder to me to do the right things in my post-separation behavior. And when someone loses it on me in here...I admit that I find it kinda funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
                  ... 1. Share feelings and experiences, but not advice.
                  3. Listen to each other. Give everyone an opportunity to share.
                  6. Be respectful and sensitive to others.
                  7. Be supportive and encouraging to each other.
                  8. Refrain from using offensive language.
                  10. Talk about yourself and your own experience. You may ask questions of others, but do not challenge the validity of another’s personal experience.
                  11. We share feelings and experiences just as they are. There are no right or wrong statements.
                  12. Each person knows what is best for her or himself, and therefore carries the primary responsibility for her or his well-being.
                  13. When speaking, use “I” statements, rather than “we,” “you,” or “they.”

14. Please focus on your feelings, not opinions.
                  15. Avoid individual problem solving. Individuals can learn from one another’s experiences to solve their own problems.
                  16. When a person posts, the others should actively read with the goal of relating the poster’s experiences to their own.
                  17. It is empowering and healing for us to gather ideas that can benefit us. No one of us is an expert and no one knows what is best for another.
                  This reads like something cut and pasted from a self-help group guide from a counsellor's office. If you formulated this yourself then I think your expectations are unrealistic.

[I edited my comments so as to not offend you BTW]

Comment

Serene: I think nice people are awesome. Every year, I make a New Year's resolution to be nicer and I arrange an appointment to have an exorcism but it never takes. As a consequence, (in the words of Popeye)...I y'am what I y'am (and I'm just too old to change.)

But its probably not a wasted effort to try to remind people to be kinder where they can. I would disagree that there's a lot of unnecessary negativity from the regular (non-troll) posters...quite the opposite. Although I suppose if you're a stickler for not using curse words you may run into some issues in some posts. But this is an adult forum.

Frankly, I will admit that I personally like the tough edge to the forum. Its a constant reminder to me to do the right things in my post-separation behavior. And when someone loses it on me in here...I admit that I find it kinda funny.
                    Thanks for this. I laughed when I read the last part. The tough edge is helpful.
                    This reads like something cut and pasted from a self-help group guide from a counsellor's office. If you formulated this yourself then I think your expectations are unrealistic.

[I edited my comments so as to not offend you BTW]
                    Nah, I borrowed it lol

I'm really not the easily offended either

Comment

. ...I just see no value in the name calling and having to weed through posts on a thread that you might be genuinely interested in and have to filter out all the bleeps lol....
                      The mods are the only people who can edit posts.

Sometimes the truth hurts. The old expression "if you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen" is perhaps appropriate.

This is a DIVORCE forum. Difficult, life-changing issues are debated.

Life would be very dull if everyone agreed on everything and everyone was the same, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                        Frankly, I find someone trying to lecture users on how they should tailor their responses to what they think is more suitable, rather overbearing and controlling.
                        PH:

You hit the nail on the head. There is a cycle of users making this request. If everyone will recall there was another user whom made a similar request in the past when a majority of the senior posters disagreed with their position and "emotional reasoning" as well.

It all boils down to "being critical" versus "critical thinking". The latter (critical thinking) is often miss interpreted as "being critical".

Paralleling the difference between arguing and reasoned argument, there is a difference between being critical and critical thinking. Just as the careful structure of an argument is an essential part of quality argumentation, critical thinking implies that one is paying careful attention to whatever is studied.

Being critical is synonymous with ranting, complaining, or, at times, undermining someone else's efforts. Being critical for the sake of being critical is often fuelled by emotion, especially anger. In contrast, being an effective critical thinker means that you can analyze your object of study in a fair and reasoned manner; moreover, the analysis has a purpose, and often a helpful one. After evaluating what you have analyzed, according to a fair standard of evaluation, you may deliver some constructive criticism.

To summarize, while being critical involves being emotionally upset, unfairly picking on someone or something, and not offering constructive solutions (as well as possible means to implement them), critical thinking is an analytical skill built around the principle of charity and the principle of cooperation.
                        Being critical versus critical thinking - Debatepedia

Another problem is that often the posters who make these kinds of requests often rely upon formal fallacies when structuring their arguments. This one contains what appears to be a cognative bias. But, I could be wrong in my application of critical thinking here...

Good Luck!
                        Tayken
                        Last edited by Tayken; 01-27-2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

The thing that comes to mind to me here is also along the lines of "projection" or, as stated in the article, "mirror imaging."

Psychological projection - RationalWiki
                          Last edited by arabian; 01-27-2014, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for this. I laughed when I read the last part. The tough edge is helpful.

Nah, I borrowed it lol

I'm really not the easily offended either
                            then you should supply your source. That whole plagiarism thread from last week, remember?

Comment

IN for feeling and touching!!!

Hold on -- we are doing that, right?
                              Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X