This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling Within Canada with children

I was wondering what docs are needed ie Health Card and or BC to travel with you children within Canada?

Are the above documents require or is it just a recommendation. I'm thinking in the lines of emergencies or id stopped by police etc. Can the other parent withhold those docs from the other parent who is taking a known and agreed vacation with the children outside the Province? Shouldn't the docs travel with the children?

Any supportive info that you have or can lead me to, like official sites and so on I would appreciate it.

If your flying then you need a photo id and if you don't have one then 2 government issued id. You should have a copy of the health card or at least the health card # in case you need if for health reasons regardless. What does your agreement say? Does it state that each parent has to notify the other when traveling outside the province with the kids?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel31 View Post
      If your flying then you need a photo id and if you don't have one then 2 government issued id. You should have a copy of the health card or at least the health card # in case you need if for health reasons regardless. What does your agreement say? Does it state that each parent has to notify the other when traveling outside the province with the kids?
      Copy? You mean a photocopy? I am not sure that would work? I mean who travels or goes on vacation with photocopies of their id's

No, nothing like that as far as notifications, though I did.

Comment

A lot of the time the government can issue a secondary card(so there are 2). If you have joint custody and the other parent is refusing to send you the cards, you CAN order one for yourself. (The numbers themselves do not change, merely the expiration date on them, so even if you have an OLD expired card, the numbers on them should be the same, as long as you know the expiration date of the NEW cards.)

Comment

Is there somewhere you read that online, NBDad? Curious because I have always been under the impression that only ONE card per person is the rule - especially for health cards, I think for birth certificates you can have one of the small ones and one of the long form ones, though?

Also pretty sure that only the parent with custody of the child can apply for it.

Comment

You kind of have to bend the rules a bit. Report the card as lost/stolen or missing... have them issue a new card...to YOUR address.

Obviously this only works in a joint/shared situation. Worse comes to worse, you can try to get the old/expired cards....like I said the only thing that changes on them is the expiry date, as long as you have that...you should be ok to use the old card. (All they need is the number on it and the expiration date)

(I had to use them for like 6 months, my ex refused to provide them, and I kept having to drag the kids down to outpatient's because SHE was an open CPS case, and I had to document every damn little thing wrong with the kids so it didn't come back on me....for instance our youngest child had a raw bloody bum every time he came back from her house, I'd get it under control/cleared up...he'd go back to her house for 3-4 days...come back with a bloody raw bum...rinse and repeat.)

Comment

Ahh, ok. Pretty sure that's not legal. I do know that you can get medical care whether or not you have a health card and if you have a card that's expired however if you don't provide the updated info to them eventually you WILL recieve a bill in the mail.

The numbers stay the same but everyone has a code at the end of the numbers (two letters) and when you get a new card THOSE change.

I wouldn't recommend messing around with anything that is less than legal and reporting someone else's cards as lost or stolen when they aren't seems just bordering on legal. If you know the OHIP number for the kids you could provide those at the hospital or doctor when you go, I would also inform - in writing - the other parent of the visit and encourage them to provide the card to the doctor or hospital you visitted. If the card is registered to the other parent it will be listed at their address and if a bill gets sent out it would be sent to the other parent anyways. it's in their best interest to provide the info to the doctor/hospital at that point, if they choose not to then they can pay the bill.

Sounds simple enough to me (and legal!).

Comment

I think it depends on where u live if they'll allow you to have a second health card made for the other parent. When I lived in NS, I called and was able to get a second health card made for my ex so that we could both have health cards for our daughter but in BC they only issue one and a little blank paper card that u can put the other family members name and health card #'s on for the other parent.
                If your only going to be within Canada I would just simply get something in writing so that no issues come up. If you have an email from her stating her agreement or a letter that should be enough, I doubt u would need it or even a copy of your custody agreement.
                Your ex should make sure you at least have the health card # for the kids while in your care.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                  Ahh, ok. Pretty sure that's not legal. I do know that you can get medical care whether or not you have a health card and if you have a card that's expired however if you don't provide the updated info to them eventually you WILL recieve a bill in the mail.

The numbers stay the same but everyone has a code at the end of the numbers (two letters) and when you get a new card THOSE change.

I wouldn't recommend messing around with anything that is less than legal and reporting someone else's cards as lost or stolen when they aren't seems just bordering on legal. If you know the OHIP number for the kids you could provide those at the hospital or doctor when you go, I would also inform - in writing - the other parent of the visit and encourage them to provide the card to the doctor or hospital you visitted. If the card is registered to the other parent it will be listed at their address and if a bill gets sent out it would be sent to the other parent anyways. it's in their best interest to provide the info to the doctor/hospital at that point, if they choose not to then they can pay the bill.

Sounds simple enough to me (and legal!).
                  What about photocopies? But my question is, who goes on vacation with photocopies? I've never heard of this, wouldn't you want and shouldn't you have the originals?

If you do not have your health card with you, treatment can be refused without payment up front unless there is a danger to the children's heath if immediate care is not provided, but really why would anyone want to put themselves in that position.

What if something happened that involved an accident or lost child or law enforcement, not having their i dent (but a photocopy) spells nothing but trouble to me. I mean, when anyone travel, drives etc, you don't go out with a photocopy. God forbid that anything would happen, but there are always the what if's, and there should be not valid reason to withhold those docs from your ex, especially if the time with the children is either ordered or agreed.

I was looking for something that specifically states that when travelling with minors, that there is certain documents you must have with you. I know if you go on a plane with a child within Canada, it is required, but I am looking for information that doesn't relate to planes.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X