Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Common Law - do I get back my part of house downpayment?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Law - do I get back my part of house downpayment?

My common law partner and I are splitting up. We bought a home together in Ontario and have lived here for 2 years, so we became common-law last year after 1 year in I suppose. Both our names are on the title deed and mortgage.

We are dividing household items acquired together 50/50 regardless of who paid for it.

However, I need to know about the house. I am wanting to keep the house and buy her portion out. Our "verbal" agreement was always we get back whatever downpayment portion we put in, then split any proceeds/losses from current value of home. The house value has increased approx 80k so I am agreeing to pay her out 40k + her small contribution to the downpayment. I put substantially more downpayment, approx 95% of it. Am I guaranteed to get all of my downpayment back or is it a 50/50 split? It was my personal savings and gift from my parents to make up the 95% of downpayment, and the certified cheque to make the payment came from my personal savings account.

We both earn relatively equal income. Both were employed during our 2 years in the home. No children. We both pay equal into a shared account to pay for bills and mortgage. Though she has missed a handful of payments over the 2 years.

Originally posted by BRP View Post
    ....Our "verbal" agreement was always we get back whatever downpayment portion we put in, then split any proceeds/losses from current value of home. ...
    Sounds fair to me. Though technically from a business perspective you should get more of the profits, since you risked more, but if that is what you agreed to then that is what you should do.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X