This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rental/lease question

To get out of a lease, when your ex on disability takes off, and he is currently on the lease.?

read over you lease to find out. Questions like this would be better answered by your landlord.

Comment

You have to review the terms of your lease. Are you also listed on the lease?

Is it a one or two bedroom? Do you have kids? If no kids and it's a two bedroom you could try to get a room mate to help you cover the costs.

Talk to the landlord to see if they are willing to let you sublet, or get new tenants to start a new lease.

Good luck

Angie

Comment

I was asking for a friend who has a 20 year old daughter with a 2 year old. It is a pretty much standard lease. That is what I said, maybe discuss the situation with the landlord, perhaps they would understand.

Comment

Agreed...speak to the landlord... unfortunately if the rent comes directly out of the count they may be on the hook for the fill amount...however, if both names are on the lease and it is paid by cheque... speak to the landlord about paying half, and have the ex put into collections for his half...even if he is on disability...he needs to pay rent one way or another.

Comment

In some cases, the landlord can only pursue you for a portion of the rent, in other cases, the landlord can pursue you for the whole rent - it depends on how the lease is worded and where you live. BUT ... if the landlord can only ask you for your portion, they have the option of cancelling the lease and kicking you out. The landlord cannot be expected to deal with roommate problems i.e. it is not reasonable to expect them to wait/pay for collections, or deal with this hassle at all. I'm not sure of the mechanism for cancelling the lease. In quebec they need to make an application to some tenancy board.

Comment

Needs more details.

Were both the daughter and her now ex on the lease?

What is the duration of the lease (1 year?)?

How long have they been living in the residence?

Does the lease provide for early termination at the option of either the landlord or the tenant?

Do the tenant have the option to sublease?

Can the tenant find someone to assume the lease?

When my ex and I were first trying to work things out, we leased a house at $1600 a month. We never even moved in together before we broke up. I had to carry the costs of the lease of a never-to-be-used-house and my apartment (as I hadn't moved out of my old place yet and it was substantially closer to work).

But, I was able to find tenants to assume the lease and I was off the hook (3 months later). You may want to look into this.
              Last edited by HammerDad; 01-17-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X