Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRO starting enforcement

Hi,

An order was recently entered to start enforcing using FRO from June of this year. My understanding is that it takes a few months to kick in.

My ex has a history of lying about receiving money, so I want to be sure that I get credited for the payments towards her.

What is the best way for me to ensure that the kids are supported and that I get credited?

Keep in mind that the ex is definitely going to lie about how much money I've paid her in the interim.

Thanks in advance!

Pay by cheque or bank transfer to track it. Do not pay by cash EVER.

When FRO kicks in you will pay them directly and its tracked that way.

Comment

I know someone with a very similar situation (ex lying about support received to get FRO involved and collect over payment, then also filed a false arrears statement a few years later on top of it)

This man had paid the ex with cheques, mailed FRO proof of the cheques, and they still would NOT reimburse him UNLESS the mother would confirm with FRO that she did receive the cheques from him.

FRO told him that the mother was NOT responding to their letters confirming the cheques, so they could not do anything.

FRO told him if he wanted a chance at getting reimbursed, he needed to take the Mother to court (more legal fees/stress/time)

In situations like that....sometimes you are better to BANK the money until FRO kicks in, and then pay them the lump sum (but I get that sucks for the "supporting the kids" currently waiting for FRO to kick in!)
      Last edited by pinkmorganite; 06-13-2017, 11:32 AM. Reason: adding more info

Comment

If she files an arrears statement you send a formal dispute through FRO. Your caseworker will help you. That will then go through their accounting process and they will reject the arrears statement.

If you have a support deduction order being sent to FRO (via a recent court action) they will only enforce the cs from the dates in the order (ie she cant submit cs payments from previous to the order dates). If she submits an arrears statement, you go through the dispute process listed above.

Comment

Yes, it took 2 months for FRO to STOP garnishing HALF his pay due to the false arrears statement (Faxed them the Court Order/Copy of the false arrears statement explaining it to them)

It sucks because not everyone can financially afford the HIT like that of FRO garnishing HALF their pay for MONTHS before FRO sorts it out/ starts following things properly!

Comment

Garnishment is a whole other beast which is probably why it was a problem.

Comment

Seems like every other case I read here, the advice was "DO NOT PAY" your ex. Wait for FRO to kick in.

If you can find out the case number, you can pay FRO directly. That may prompt them to send the money to her faster.

It was over 20 years ago my husband started with FRO. From the day they walked out of court it took 17 days for a deduction to come off his pay. I wonder what's messed it up so badly.

Comment

I also thought it was advised not to pay the ex directly when fro was involved... once you get a letter from FRO stating their involvement you either pay them directly or start banking the money... it is then her responsibility to get her money from FRO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Calling FRO will get you nowhere if they havent processed the account. Not paying means your ex goes up to three months without child support. These are the cases where its hard to do the right thing.

Comment

You are not ordered to pay her directly. You are ordered to pay FRO. Make your arrangements with FRO and pay only them. How long it takes for FRO to transfer the money to her is not your problem.She wanted enforcement through FRO , she _must_ have been aware that it would take time for the transition.

If you do pay her anything directly, then kiss that money goodbye. FRO will collect from June regardless.
                    Last edited by trinton; 06-13-2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

You will get a letter from FRO on that letter should be your case number. Send payment through your bank to FRO using that case. Do not pay direct to receiver you will be
                      Charged $100 admin fee. So either start paying FRO or bank the
                      Money. It only takes 30 days if both parties complete the paperwork upon receipt.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X