X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valuation of Pension That Is In Pay

Hello :

I wish I could say that I'm pleased to be part of this community. However, it is a a very sad and unpleasant experience to be in a marriage breakdown with three young children.

I have been retired from the Federal Public Service for the past 5 years,
    receiving a pension as my sole income. I would very much appreciate receiving advice on the matter of my pension.

Canada Revenue Agency states that a pension is an income. Legal opinion stated that my pension is in pay and it doest not/not have to be valued. The mediator in our case did not ask for a valuation of my pension at first but once a letter was received from my spouses lawyer, I was asked to have my pension valued.

Any advice/comments/observations on this point would be much appreciated.

PS If my income (pension) has to be valued, why shouldn't my spouse's income be valued too ?

Hello Kawasaki,

I'm going through the same thing. I also have to get a "valuation of my pension". I have been married for 34 years, carried him most of the time. This December I decided I no longer could do it anymore. I'm 61 years old worked all my life and now have to pay SS to my husband. I would not begrudge him a dime if only he would of tried to contribute to our home. My total pension is only 1,600 a month and then I get my CPP and that is all of my income period. He does not have a pension from his work, therefor I have to share mine with him. I was told by my lawyer that I have to keep him in the manner of the custom he is use to having. He is an only child, mother bought him as a gift a brand new Avalanche, pays the gas, gives him money and then more money when she dies. She's 83 years old, he's 61, same age as me. I have no savings, no other income, only my little pension. Life sucks but unfortunately, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer...those are just the facts and I guess I have to accept them.

Good luck in all your endeavors

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X