Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by limer View Post
    My Ex starting going to church after about 6 months of separation. It didn't last long. Just be careful with how it may affect your parenting time i.e. where she might expect you to deliver the kids to her so that she can go to church. Unless your BF is of a different demonization, and "practicing" then the whole issue is neither here nor there.
    Intentional or not, that was pretty funny

Comment

Accordingly, if special occasions, extracurricular activities, excursions or other opportunities become available to XXX or to either of us, neither of us will insist that the residency arrangements set out herein be adhered to without exception.

This is the issues…see how religion can be used against someone with a clause like this…specially Christmas time, Easter….open up to more arguments.

Mom wants dad out of the picture….can you see an issue here! Great way to get dad out and get the access required to put him out of 50/50.....

Comment

This is the issues…see how religion can be used against someone with a clause like this…specially Christmas time, Easter….open up to more arguments.

I absolutely cannot see it actually. Most people...whether they practice religion or not, get time off during these holidays. So they become days that each parent will split up reasonably in order to gain access time for the children. No court is going to say that Christmas is only a holiday for christians and therefore the father has no right to claim his access time...that's ridiculous, paranoid and yet another reason why you should stay out of this dispute...you're being irrational. Honestly, who the hell reads this kind of nonsense into a separation agreement???

By that token, if you want to get super stupid...for argument's sake, I could make up a religion and associated holidays like Holy Hamster Day and then take away my ex's access time for religious freedom reasons. Afterall, the hamster died on the holy running wheel for our sins. How do you a think any reasonable court would look upon that kind of stupidity?

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post

By that token, if you want to get super stupid...for argument's sake, I could make up a religion and associated holidays like Holy Hamster Day and then take away my ex's access time for religious freedom reasons. Afterall, the hamster died on the holy running wheel for our sins. How do you a think any reasonable court would look upon that kind of stupidity?
          Ever heard of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
          We will soon take over christianity.

and no, I don't honestly see the OP's point either.
          Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

My best laugh of the day so far. Well said PH!

Comment

I absolutely cannot see it actually. Most people...whether they practice religion or not, get time off during these holidays. So they become days that each parent will split up reasonably in order to gain access time for the children. No court is going to say that Christmas is only a holiday for christians and therefore the father has no right to claim his access time...that's ridiculous, paranoid and yet another reason why you should stay out of this dispute...you're being irrational. Honestly, who the hell reads this kind of nonsense into a separation agreement???

That the problem...dad is reasonable...see previous post on Thanksgiving....mom not so much.

If it not going to be a legal bit in the ass later then, I will pass on the info.

Detaching from this when we plan after all this is said and done to merge our familles...is very difficult when Holidays will be celebrated together including the new Holy Hamster day!

I LOVE Holy Hamster Day!

Comment

It's pretty simple. Follow the existing access schedule.

If the other parent chooses to take the child to church on their time why would you care.

If they attempt to get you to do something on your time you simply say no.

Comment

That the problem...dad is reasonable...see previous post on Thanksgiving....mom not so much.

I think its a fairly common trap when one ex is nuts, for the stbx spouse to think they need to match their ex's level of crazy to do well in court. Actually the exact opposite is true. Courts like reasonable parents who are solution-based...not conflict-based.

Part of it is habit...you spend a marriage living in the crazy house and reacting to it...and the unhealthy behavior continues into separation. Part of it is also paranoia and the lack of knowledge about the court process and what is relevant and irrelevant.

If it not going to be a legal bit in the ass later then, I will pass on the info.

Her religious choices and how she uses her access time with the child when it comes to religion...really isn't an issue unless your bf starts having communication issues because of it.

Detaching from this when we plan after all this is said and done to merge our familles...is very difficult when Holidays will be celebrated together including the new Holy Hamster day!

You might as well start practicing detachment. You're going to have a lot of real problems with creating non-existing ones. You need to change how you react to stupidity and unreasonable behavior. Shrug it off, laugh about it together when the kids are out of the house, etc...but always stay child-focused and not focused on the ex's HC nonsense and eventually things will settle down.

Comment

Ever heard of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
                    We will soon take over christianity.
                    How enlightening! Where can I join up?

Comment

How enlightening! Where can I join up?
                      Do you enjoy drinking (particularly on Fridays?)
                      I'll PM you locations.
                      Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Do you enjoy drinking (particularly on Fridays?)
                        Is a duck's ass watertight? Finally a religion that concentrates on life's meaningful things...lol!

I'll PM you locations.
                        Sweet...ladies night out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
                          Hmmmm..the problem with religion, just like race, stems from people that can't seem to tolerate others...i.e. Xenophobia

I grew up in a city of now over 7 million people, and I can tell you that apart from being able to understand a bit of every language, and exposure to the different cultures and race, one thing I absolutely loved was the different reliogious holidays and the food.

I have been into a every place of worship there is...can't even believe people are getting worked up over this in a separation agreement. Now if it was the kid not having the last name of something, that would have been more interesting

Blah, blah, blah .... Oh but that picture is way too precious!!! thanks for posting it! I can't resist a cute pup!

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
                            Hmmmm..the problem with religion, just like race, stems from people that can't seem to tolerate others...i.e. Xenophobia

I grew up in a city of now over 7 million people, and I can tell you that apart from being able to understand a bit of every language, and exposure to the different cultures and race, one thing I absolutely loved was the different reliogious holidays and the food.

I have been into a every place of worship there is...can't even believe people are getting worked up over this in a separation agreement. Now if it was the kid not having the last name of something, that would have been more interesting

I have read the crap that many have had to deal with over simple no brainer stuff...case in point FB...how is the PD daycare situation going?

Oh by the way the church is having a bake sale and I want D4 to go...that what will happen...but on the front nothing on paper will stop this from happining.

HAVE A Great Thanksgiving everyone!

Comment

Good Mom....

Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. While religion may be a contentious issue, it's of persons choosing. Sometimes in Family Law it's a primary issue, sometimes it may be a distraction from other issues (money, custody, access, etc.). Family Law is a game..... legal strategies, circles, circumventing, red herrings, etc.

It's a game. Now your priorities without getting messed up in the bullshit....

Comment

I absolutely cannot see it actually. Most people...whether they practice religion or not, get time off during these holidays. So they become days that each parent will split up reasonably in order to gain access time for the children. No court is going to say that Christmas is only a holiday for christians and therefore the father has no right to claim his access time...
                                Actually, I read a case on Canlii that the judge ruled that because Mom was religious and Dad didn't care, Mom got Easter. He said since Dad wasn't religious, Dad wouldn't really care what day he saw the kids. Mom is religious and therefore her interests were more relevant.

I don't remember if the judge ruled the same about Christmas.

I agree that it likely won't be used in a sole custody case but I can see how it might be used. It didn't decrease Dad's quantity of time but he sure wouldn't have been seeing the Easter Bunny come....

Let me see if I can dig up the link.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X