Pay Equity for Women today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
    I worked in the US during the birth of both of my children and had a standard 6 week maternity leave then came back to work.

I work in a largely male oriented field and I get paid the same amount or more, and frankly, I have more promotional opportunities because I'm a black female and they want to move me up. I've actually benefited from the lack of females in my profession.

So I can't say I've suffered professionally or financially due to my ethnicity or gender. I've been pretty lucky because the opposite has happened.

I've pushed both of my kids to go into STEM fields too...you can use the shortage of women to your advantage in certain fields. That's one thing that never shows up in these articles.
    You are so smart to direct your kids this way.

Many years ago I worked in hotel industry as HR manager (called Director of Personnel back in those days). At the time, most people who held these so-called senior management jobs were women. At the time I belonged to the city 'Personnel Managers Association' which met monthly. I don't recall ever seeing a male at any of those meetings. When men did start to fill those positions there was a huge wage disparity. Men would be hired with the new title "Human Resources Manager" at double the pay of his predecessor. He did the same job. Woman had a title but were paid not much more than an executive secretary. Nowadays these positions pay significantly more money. I often wonder if it is because men now hold these positions? Same thing was for bank managers. If you were a woman you were given the title "officer in charge" but never "bank manager" and the salary reflected this. There is nothing quite as humiliating as training someone fresh out of university (a male) for your job, knowing the guy is going to earn 3 x what you do. I saw that happen countless times over the years. Fast forward to the years when my then-husband and I owned our trucking business. I dealt with most of the financing of equipment. I never once, in 30 years, came across a female bank manager (with credit-granting authority over 50k.). I wonder if it is still the same way?
    Last edited by arabian; 02-16-2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Many years ago I worked in hotel industry as HR manager (called Director of Personnel back in those days). At the time, most people who held these so-called senior management jobs were women. At the time I belonged to the city 'Personnel Managers Association' which met monthly. I don't recall ever seeing a male at any of those meetings. When men did start to fill those positions there was a huge wage disparity. Men would be hired with the new title "Human Resources Manager" at double the pay of his predecessor. He did the same job. Woman had a title but were paid not much more than an executive secretary. Nowadays these positions pay significantly more money. I often wonder if it is because men now hold these positions? Same thing was for bank managers. If you were a woman you were given the title "officer in charge" but never "bank manager" and the salary reflected this. There is nothing quite as humiliating as training someone fresh out of university (a male) for your job, knowing the guy is going to earn 3 x what you do. I saw that happen countless times over the years. Fast forward to the years when my then-husband and I owned our trucking business. I dealt with most of the financing of equipment. I never once, in 30 years, came across a female bank manager (with credit-granting authority over 50k.). I wonder if it is still the same way?
      I know there's definitely a difference depending on the field and saturation of one gender over another...particularly in the US market.

The issue there is because they have certain quotas....so when you've got fields without a lot of women to choose from, women can sometimes have an advantage.

My husband worked for the US government and that's definitely true there too. They move up women and minorities regularly because its a requirement.

Now that can be a very bad thing too...because there are times when they move people who simply aren't as qualified...however, it has helped some women and minorities who were routinely overlooked also.

But there's no doubt that the examples you gave are just the unfortunate reality of being a working women.

I'm seeing things change...just like they are with men in divorces...but change takes time.

Now, there are more women graduating from university than there are men...and there's more women choosing to work rather than start families early. Those are good trends in the right direction.

I'm discouraging my girls from getting married at all...I want them to get financially independent first and foremost.

Comment

I highly suggest that everyone watch the documentary "The Red Pill". Then come back and see if you have the same opinions toward "equality".

There is a "Women's Equality" and then there is just "Equality".

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
          So I can't say I've suffered professionally or financially due to my ethnicity or gender. I've been pretty lucky because the opposite has happened.
          Being very smart and wise also help you too. More than your race and gender I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
            Being very smart and wise also help you too. More than your race and gender I suspect.
            Awwww thank you! That made my day.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X