Silly question about religion ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly question about religion ?

As much as this probably doesn't make sense, this is what I deal with everyday.

We are both raised Catholic.

Separated since 2009, separation agreement states "Joint Custody" . Late 2011, mum and I agreed to baptize our child. At the last minute she decided against it because of my friends that wanted to attend. ( crazy I know) . Then early summer of 2012 , mum rushed to have our child baptized so that he could attend a catholic school in her new area. Unfortunately she did not reside in the district to attend that particular school. Mum lied to me and stated that they had no room and then unilaterally enrolled him into public school down the street which he attends to this day.

Mum now wants him to attend a different school because her niece attends that school. Still a public school. But when I asked to practise the Catholic religion she stated " only on your time". I have accepted that.

Now not too long ago( few weeks ago) she is now flat out disagreeing with me practising the religion he was baptized in.

Considering we are in the process of courts for custody and access. Considering that she is extremely difficult with me( but projects that I am the that is difficult)

What do I do? Can I and should I practise the religion regardless knowing that she has already agreed via email?

What are my rights at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you chose to take him to church when he is with you then thats what you decide to do. Its your choice what you do in your time. Its the religion he is baptized in, so what is the issue.

My daughter is catholic and her son was baptized in that faith, although Dad is not a catholic. He does not,practice any religion. She attends our local church with son and has not really considered it an issue, as the child is christened in that faith.

If you were taking your child to some different faith or something obscure then maybe you would need to seek her approval but she,had the child baptized, regardless for,the wrong reasons, he is catholic.

Comment

Well, if she said you can practice your religion on your time, there's your answer. (And even if she hadn't said it, going to church on your time is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Maybe at some point the kid will decide he does or does not want to continue in the Catholic faith, but that's way off in the future). Presumably if she was really against the church, she wouldn't have baptized the child.

I attend church regularly (not Catholic), and take D8 with me on my weeks. Ex is an atheist. D8 knows her mom and her dad believe different things, and doesn't seem too conflicted about it. I think church also provides a nice community and social network for kids, independent of their family or the kids they spend the school year with.

Comment

Originally posted by OntarioDaddyMan View Post
        As much as this probably doesn't make sense, this is what I deal with everyday.
        Considering we are in the process of courts for custody and access. Considering that she is extremely difficult with me( but projects that I am the that is difficult)

What do I do? Can I and should I practise the religion regardless knowing that she has already agreed via email?

What are my rights at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Canlii.org is a good resource. There are many rulings on Catholic issues. Here is one about schooling.

CanLII - 2004 BCSC 1531 (CanLII)

Keep practicing your religion. Take your child to mass if you want to. Do not agree to another school change. I do not think you will win to change the child to Catholic school now because you have accepted it for two years but you certainly say no to further changes.

Good luck
        Last edited by SadAndTired; 05-18-2014, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X