Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Child Support - How long did it take you to get it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support - How long did it take you to get it?

If your ex-spouse is legally obligated pay, is able to pay, but refuses to, how long did it take you to start receiving it?
    Less than one year.
    0%
    One to two years.
    0%
    Two to three years.
    0%
    More than three years or was unable to obtain any support.
    0%

The poll is expired.

She was supposed to start paying in May 2010, she disagreed on the amount, didn't pay and I re-filed with the FRO at the end of July 2010. The FRO commenced collection action in October 2010 based on a two year old order but no payments were received until...

I filed a motion to vary in November 2010 to adjust CS based on her new income. We had a court date in December, she didn't show up so it was adjourned to beginning of this month.

The day before the court date this month she paid the FRO the arrears based on the old order and at court we revised the CS based on her 2009 income and set new arrears retroactive to May 2010 based on the new amount of CS.

She missed her first payment last week after agreeing with the FRO to make bank transfers to them, so I'm guessing the FRO will be back to her employer to garnish soon.

Comment

For me it was almost 2 years!!! Ex and family felt they didn't need to financially support the child, unfortunately they still feel that way

Comment

If the other parent absolutely refuses to pay unless ordered, there is nothing the other parent can do but go through the process. My Ex is well-educated, smart, excellent at scamming and has a good solid income ($75K plus) with little debts and her husband is an income earner with no kids.

Even though I am self represented, I have checked with two lawyers who have ensured I am administrating this matter properly. They said that no court is going to order her to pay child support until a certain process is complete.

I was further told, as she lives in New Brunswick, the following complication is that the matter becomes an Inter-jurisdictional Support Order (ISO) issue. Both the FRO and legal counsel told me that, after the Ontario court issues and order, I can expect the ISO process to take up to six months!

Arrears? I was also told that NB courts have a nasty habit of significantly reducing arrears during their own enforcement hearings before they order goes to the FSOS (NB's version of FRO).

Of course, one has to ask, why would a capable mother not be willing to help support her kids!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X