Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STBX running a cash business - how to gather evidence ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STBX running a cash business - how to gather evidence ?

Hi Community...

I've mentioned on another thread that STBX has been working farmers markets during the summer at least both Saturday's and Sundays and not disclosing this fact or the income.

Its a cash business so I am not sure what to do in terms of garnering proof ?

If I approach her supplier I assume they will tell me to go to hell.

How do I deal with this ? Should I hire a private investigator ?

Thanks

Originally posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
    Hi Community...

I've mentioned on another thread that STBX has been working farmers markets during the summer at least both Saturday's and Sundays and not disclosing this fact or the income.

Its a cash business so I am not sure what to do in terms of garnering proof ?

If I approach her supplier I assume they will tell me to go to hell.

How do I deal with this ? Should I hire a private investigator ?

Thanks
    Until she files her income tax return for the same year, you don't know that the income isn't being declared.

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
      Until she files her income tax return for the same year, you don't know that the income isn't being declared.
      She just provided a updated financial statement (13.1) with no indication of it.

Comment

You said "the summer", unclear whether it's repeated summers or just this summer.

Many businesses operate in cash, it doesn't mean it is not or won't be declared. You're making an assumption that because it's cash, she won't declare it. While that may be entirely correct, if you're only referring to 2018 income, then you're going to have to wait to find out if that is true or not.

Many farmers market businesses operate in cash only, it doesn't mean they're all filing fraudulent returns.

Comment

You said "the summer", unclear whether it's repeated summers or just this summer.

Many businesses operate in cash, it doesn't mean it is not or won't be declared. You're making an assumption that because it's cash, she won't declare it. While that may be entirely correct, if you're only referring to 2018 income, then you're going to have to wait to find out if that is true or not.

Many farmers market businesses operate in cash only, it doesn't mean they're all filing fraudulent returns.
          What I said was it hasn't been *disclosed* on a very recent (last week) financial statement. The rules for completing the 13.1 are very clear, and amounts from this activity should have been disclosed.

Comment

MSMom, this woman has a history of falsifying information. Best to read the history of people’s cases before commenting.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
              MSMom, this woman has a history of falsifying information. Best to read the history of people’s cases before commenting.

I don't mind MSMom commenting. I thank her for it. But she is saying one thing when I have *clearly* stated a different set of facts.

Thanks to all for your time and input.

Comment

Originally posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
                I don't mind MSMom commenting. I thank her for it. But she is saying one thing when I have *clearly* stated a different set of facts.

Thanks to all for your time and input.
                As an accountant, I caution people on assuming money is being made when it may not be.

You could spend thousands investigating to find out that she didn't disclose a few hundred dollars.

Comment

As an accountant, I caution people on assuming money is being made when it may not be.

You could spend thousands investigating to find out that she didn't disclose a few hundred dollars.

The problem is she is claiming she cant work, isnt working, has no ability to work etc. In actual fact, she is capable of working and is doing so in a manner to hide earnings. If she is able to stand for hours at a farmers market selling products she would have to prepurchase, she is able to work and has the funds to buy products.

It also demonstrates she is withholding info and filing untrue documents.

Comment

The point is, don't spend dollars pursuing pennies, no matter how principled the argument is.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                      The problem is she is claiming she cant work, isnt working, has no ability to work etc. In actual fact, she is capable of working and is doing so in a manner to hide earnings. If she is able to stand for hours at a farmers market selling products she would have to prepurchase, she is able to work and has the funds to buy products.

It also demonstrates she is withholding info and filing untrue documents.

RS, you're bang on. Thanks.

Comment

How often is she at this market? How many days and hours. She would have to have a business licence or venders permit I would think. Contact the market to see what it entails to set up a booth then follow the paper trail. The supplier will not and should not tell you anything. You would need a court order I would think for them to disclose any client information.It may cost you more to find things out versus your financial gain.

Comment

The point is, don't spend dollars pursuing pennies, no matter how principled the argument is.
                          RS's understanding is exact, and him/her having stated it so well should have clarified things for you.

Its good that your an accountant, because your clearly not a lawyer.

I tend not to pay attention to people who flout credentials in place of sound reason and argument and only offer help if i am sure i have sufficiently understood the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                            How often is she at this market? How many days and hours. She would have to have a business licence or venders permit I would think. Contact the market to see what it entails to set up a booth then follow the paper trail. The supplier will not and should not tell you anything. You would need a court order I would think for them to disclose any client information.It may cost you more to find things out versus your financial gain.
                            Hi SOTS, she has been their all season, every saturday, and at another one on sundays. She is on one of the market's websites ...
                            I have infact contacted one of markets, they are preparing a letter confirming she has been their all summer, every saturday. A full day is 7 to 8 hours plus set up and tear down.

The value here is not what she is making... she is claiming she can't work. so it speaks to spousal support. I hope she makes a ton of money. She just should not be lying about it for greed.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post

This is good advice too.

Also, if she sells a product that is from a brand name with local retailers that are listed, search for that too. For instance Tupperware, stamping Up and scentsy all have places to search for local “consultants”. If you can get a time/date stamped screenshot, that helps too.

MSMom, while your advice is sound from an accounting standpoint, PND is trying to prove his ex is lying more so than she is making money. In his case, proving she is not credible throws out about 95% of her materials. Most of his info can come from free sources too not paying for a PI.

(Also, I believe its in the tens of thousands she will owe him over a long period of time so its totally worth it...)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X