This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this mother thinking?

my husbands ex has finally gone mad..my step son was caught doing some very wrong things which he confessed to, this was mid July..he confessed to all concerned and moms way of dealing with it was to take him out for icecream..well since this time we have not seen or heard from him at all...he is 12 years old and his mother is doing a very good job of mothering him to death..she won't anwer the phone when we call and she has moved so we are not sure where to find him what do we do??? any suggestions?

I'd follow her from work, and find out where she lives, then your husband can show up to see him and reestablish contact. Not knowing what rights he has to him, I can only assume he has at least visitation, so if need be enforce it through a lawyer.....just my two sense. I'd do it quick though.

Comment

good point, although she works for 2 different employers and her hours are all over the board..we also feel that the child has also been the one to back away since he knows what he has done was very wrong and I think alot of embarassment has followed..he has bounderies here at our home and where he lives with his mother no guidelines have to be followed..doesn't take a scientist to figure out which household he would rather spend his time at..he is probably at the age where he can decide if he wants to spend time with us anyways, not sure how that goes, but the time we do spend with him is only 1 day a week

Comment

In Ontario; Unless a separation agreement or order from the court provides otherwise BOTH parents are EQUALLY entitled to information bearing on the health welfare and education of said child.

See the relevant statues both federal and provincial depending on the circumstance:

Divorce Act

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc...chorbo-ga:s_15
        Section 16(5)

Access

(5) Unless the court orders otherwise, a spouse who is granted access to a child of the marriage has the right to make inquiries, and to be given information, as to the health, education and welfare of the child.
        -and-

Children's Law Reform Act R.S.O 1990
        http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...c12_e.htm#BK23
        Section 20(5)

Access

(5) The entitlement to access to a child includes the right to visit with and be visited by the child and the same right as a parent to make inquiries and to be given information as to the health, education and welfare of the child. R.S.O. 1990, c. C.12, s. 20 (5).

It appears to me that a location or living condition of a child would be deemed to be their welfare. A parent centered on the child would inform the other parent of current living condition, location etc.

Bottom line is since the child has moved to a new location this in itself could construe to be a material change of circumstance and as such once this threshold is met the other parent has grounds to have the current living regime of the child re-examined and have the courts re-apply the best interest test for the adjudication of the child.

lv
        Last edited by logicalvelocity; 09-03-2007, 08:27 PM.

Comment

we are once again going to try to contact the ex about getting to see the step son tomorrow..she will more than likely not return the call... if she bothers to pick up the phone it will be a miracle

Comment

well my husband called and surprise she answered the phone, my husband asked to speak to his son and she replied that he was in the washroom they chatted for awhile and she said that it was his idea not to come to our place until he went to see the councillor..I'd say it is more likely her idea..anyways time will tell what will happen

Comment

hopefully things will work out for all concerned.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X