X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling abroad with my child...need advice

Hi all,
    I'm a single mother with sole custody of my child. Father has visitation every other weekend. I am going to be traveling abroad with my child in a couple of months. What documents do I need exactly to travel abroad with her? I have been told a couple of different things. Can anyone help me by letting me know exactly what docs I need to bring. Thanks so much.

How old is the child? You will need your court order and her birth certificate, minimum. Since you have sole, you do not need a letter from the other parent granting consent.

Comment

Even though you have sole, it would be best to get a consent letter. Otherwise you have nothing to show that you are not abducting your child (which means, taking them away from another parent). Yes, custodial parents can be charged with child abduction. The officials are more likely to protect the other parent's access if your court order spells out the specific access schedule - as opposed to just saying 'reasonable access' (which implies some level of cooperation/trust between the parents). It also depends on what your order says about travel/consent/mobility. ... but that's IF they look at the court order.

You are unlikely to have a problem, but still, it would be a bummer if your travel plans were ruined because of this, no?

If the BC does not indicate the father, then you might be ok... not sure.

The silliness is, you are most likely to be checked ON REENTERING CANADA. Doh!

Have a look here: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/planification/16-.aspx?lang=eng and here http://www.voyage.gc.ca/preparation_...nfants-eng.asp
      Last edited by dinkyface; 01-20-2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I have travelled abroad with my son, and did not have any issue, since I had his BC and my court order. Mind you, this was before the US made passport restrictions, etc...It also depends on the country to which you intend to travel.

Comment

I have one word....NEXUS

Comment

Wow--thanks for the info!

You were all so helpful. I did contact Canada Border Services today and was told that I wouldn't need a consent letter if I have sole custody and an order to prove it. I also have her BC with only myself listed as the parent on it. However, Dinkyface, you're right--it's really better to be safe than sorry. Might as well do it and cover all my basis. Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X