Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:27 AM

StillPaying has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackandjill2000 View Post
What would be considered urgent? I have a lawyer on limited retainer since my ex changed the locks on me. I haven't been inside my house for over 2+ years and have been forced to rent. I'm trying to limit my costs. I already know my ex won't be able to buy me out but I can't afford to delay for much longer. I need to access my equity.
Have you started an application with the court? Why are you paying a lawyer but doing nothing. It's hard to claim urgency when you've waited 2+ years. Start the process. Hopefully you won't have to wait 7-8 months, which I'm assuming is due to the holidays and trial sittings.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:52 PM

trueblue22 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

What are we talking abiut here?
Old 10-27-2021, 12:55 PM

trueblue22 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillPaying View Post
Have you started an application with the court? Why are you paying a lawyer but doing nothing. It's hard to claim urgency when you've waited 2+ years. Start the process. Hopefully you won't have to wait 7-8 months, which I'm assuming is due to the holidays and trial sittings.
Good to know my ex can't claim he urgently needs to sell the matrimonial home. He has plenty of access to assets he can easily convert and turn into cash.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:18 PM

Kkc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Ok are you divorcing Trueblue22 because this sounds like her!! Or maybe you are trueblue and asking to test your options!

Depends on the motion and the court. You could try to contact the court and see what the timelines are for that court.

you are an absolute savage...that was such a good burn

I have a feeling at some point her case will show up on canlii or the corollary relief twitter feed and you will have some good reading materials for entertainment
Old 10-27-2021, 03:33 PM

StillPaying has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It wasn't savage or a burn; simply an observation. You come off goofy. Grow up!
Old 10-27-2021, 03:44 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillPaying View Post
It wasn't savage or a burn; simply an observation. You come off goofy. Grow up!

He was talking about my comment about trueblue.

As for TB22, dont get cocky. He can go for costs (and will win) if you continue to drag your feet on disclosure. See how you like 75 grand for your lawyer and another 75 for his!!
Old 10-27-2021, 07:30 PM

DHTO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What would be considered urgent? I have a lawyer on limited retainer since my ex changed the locks on me. I haven't been inside my house for over 2+ years and have been forced to rent. I'm trying to limit my costs. I already know my ex won't be able to buy me out but I can't afford to delay for much longer. I need to access my equity.
Urgent motions would be mobility cases, cases where access is unilaterally cut off, and cases involving violence.

Unfortunately being pushed into the poor house is not considered urgent.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:14 PM
Banned

pinkHouses has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHTO View Post
Urgent motions would be.....cases where access is unilaterally cut off......
Depends on where you live in Ontario. It is total bullcrap.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:06 AM

jackandjill2000 is on a distinguished road

It has been a good 8 months and my ex still refuses to vacate and sell the matrimonial home. We do have a process in place now (med/arbitration scheduled for October).

It is clear from her email correspondence she expects me to "make up" the difference from what she preceives the matrimonial home was worth when we seperated and refuses to accept a lower value. Is that true? I am the one that has been trying to get her to sell for years.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:55 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough
Default Court date to sell matrimonial home

Quote:
It has been a good 8 months and my ex still refuses to vacate and sell the matrimonial home. We do have a process in place now (med/arbitration scheduled for October).

It is clear from her email correspondence she expects me to "make up" the difference from what she preceives the matrimonial home was worth when we seperated and refuses to accept a lower value. Is that true? I am the one that has been trying to get her to sell for years.

I dont believe so. Much like the stories in the news say, having waited to sell and seeing the market collapse is the sellers fault. If she had sold when it was hot she would have reaped the benefits. She doesnt get to demand more money from you for dragging her heels.

ETA: did you get an appraisal of the house when you split? You may want to look into that. Or if you have details on comparable sales in the neighbourhood. That would set the value of the house. My husbands ex refused to accept that their house had increased in value and that it expected to be more money when they split. He had a realtor appraise its value at much higher than his ex wanted. He didnt bother spending the money fighting her on it because it was one of the non starter items in their debate. He wasnt going to spend 30 grand to walk away with only 10 more.

Last edited by rockscan; 07-12-2022 at 10:59 AM.