X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• induvidual credit card payments

Hello,
    I made a huge mistake of creating an agreement to assist my husband (whom I am seperated from) with his individual (his name only) credit by contributing a set amount of money every month for a particular duration of time.
    I feel like such a fool because I was manipulated into believing it was partially my responsibility even though I am asking nothing towards the contibution of my individual CC .

(During the marriage, our bills came off HIS credit card, and every month I would contribute Aprox. $400. THis was done through a transferal of funds from my account to his for about 17months and then I stopped transfering the funds, and began giving the money to him directly.)

I decided to assist him only because I felt sorry for him and I felt that it was the "honorable" thing to do (even though he treated me disrespectfully to such an extent that I had to seperate from him!) because he is on permenant disability because he was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and is on leave from work.

(I have always been suspicious that he perhaps subconciously uses this real "disorder" as a means of evading personal responsibility for his behaviour and actions towards me--that is ofcourse another story!)

I truely see him for the manipulative person he is now, and I wish to disolve this agreement. It was never "legally" drawn up, however, we both signed it. he has a copy and so do I. This credit card of his was one he had prior to the marriage and he brought it into the marriage and about 5 months ago, increased the credit limit from $2,000 to $5,000. My name is NOT on it.

Can I still terminate the CC payments I have agreed to pay? The signature was NOT notarized, the agreement was a personal one and NOT a seperation agreement; it was not court filed because there has been no divorce proceeding as of yet.
    I posted this on a US website too, but I think I need the advice of those well versed in canadian, Ontario law.
    please respond ASAP!

-pandora

Originally posted by pandora_stes View Post
    .. The signature was NOT notarized...
    Ahh, you made an agreement - are you saying that you are not responsible for the things you sign? Are you not an adult, responsible for their own actions? If you made an agreement then you stick to it!

That being said, I don't see it as an issue.

All of your debts and assets of the marriage should be split 50/50 (it DOES NOT matter whos name is on the debt).

So you agreed to pay part of a CC debt - not really an issue as the real question is did you split ALL of your debts and assets (the ones acquired during the marriage, with the exception of the matrimonial home which is split regardless of its state at the start of the marriage)?

If you did not split all things 50/50, then why didn't you?

If you did, then this CC should not be an issue.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X