This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Divorce - Ontario and England

Hi, I am new to this and hope that I am posting in the proper area. I am a Canadian, living in Canada who married a UK resident in July. He decided to up and leave last month with no warning, and go back to the UK (England) as he was having attachment issues leaving his family. I noticed this week that he is advertising on dating sites as being single and looking for long term relationships. Would this be considered adultery? Also, my father is from England and said he will help me get my Right of Abode if necessary, so that maybe I can enlist with a lawyer in England to deal with this matter (divorce), or I can deal with it through Canada if it is easier. Has anyone dealt with this before, mainly international divorce, and not had to wait the 1 year period in Ontario, or the 2 Year period in the UK. I am devastated and just want to get it over and done with if he is not going to make an effort to return, and I cannot move there because of my children and 2 jobs that I have alot to lose.

Thankyou

Caitlynn

With such a short marriage, is it possible to get an annulement? Were you co-habitating before getting married? Are any of the children his?

Comment

The marriage has been for 5 months so far. I am not sure of the rules of annullment here in Ontario. There are no children involved thankfully.

Comment

We were only living together for a week before getting married, involved for about 3 months prior to getting married.

Comment

Here is a site on annulment in Ontario.

Marriage Annulment in the Province of Ontario

Very few marriages have ever been annulled by the courts in Canada and the rules for such are very specific and limited.

Comment

An annulment seems like a long shot, and postings on an internet dating site don't constitute adultery (which is rarely used as grounds for divorce, anyway). Your best bet is to simply wait out the one-year separation period. Pretend you're divorced in your mind and carry on as if you are.

The fact that he is now in the UK won't mean much. As long as you've lived in Canada for a year, you can get divorced from a foreigner. The tricky thing will be to ensure you can serve him the divorce papers when the time comes, so you might want to keep tabs on where he lives so that serving him won't be a problem. The fact that he's in the UK could slow things down a little, since court rules allow longer response times if the papers are served outside Canada or the US.

Comment

Thankyou for your responses - makes sense to me. I guess I will have to wait no matter what.

Comment

and the3 fact i care more about myselfr and have no value of marriage what so ever i fucked his head up and made him leave

Comment

Originally posted by caitlynnmak View Post
                  and the3 fact i care more about myselfr and have no value of marriage what so ever i fucked his head up and made him leave
                  hmmm. Thinks maybe somebody has hacked into Caitlynn's computer.

People need to log out of this site and keep their password secret.

Comment

as you can tell, my ex does hack into my email, i change my password but he manages to get into my facebook and has absolutely no respect for me or my privacy even though he is 3000 miles away

and i know this may not be the place but considering i am talking about divorce here, this may show why i have to do this, i do value marriage, and i am still holding on to something that i cant have now, i still love my husband with all my heart but he believes i did something wrong and cannot accept the fact that i did not, that he just got homesick ..... if i could be married happily to him, i would but it is out of my hands, that is why i have to move on, and yes i am seeking legal consultation monday, already have had one appt with a uk lawyer, but what else can i do?

Comment

Caitlynn, do you suffer from self esteem? Your ex shows up here and you suddenly stop typing with capitals, as does he.

Maybe the mods should be looking at IP's.

Comment

Hello, I am seeing all this crap on here and disgusted. Does anyone know how to take legal action against someone who does things like this, by invading my privacy? I am not changing my passwords or emails for the fact that I WILL NOT let him win, there is something called respect that most of us normal individuals have, however my husband is in a different category.

Comment

Change your passwords immediately, you do not have to change email accounts or such, but I suggest you cut off his access to all those things.

Comment

I think your a retard anyway why should i change my fucking e mail you douche bag

Comment

Can a mod please check the IP of Caitlynn's posts, and if she continues to refuse to change her passwords so this board has to have posts such as the nasty one above this comment (which hopefully will be removed soon), then please change it for her & block the account from posting on here.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X