gta 5 for an 8 years old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
    I have an xBox360 and an xBox One for myself. I got my D9 a WiiU. It is a great console full of child appropriate games. Mario Kart, Mario Party, Skylanders etc. are all great games that we play regularly. Although, Skylanders is a bit of a trap, as you have to go out and constantly buy more characters. I have a freaking box full of them, probably close to 30-35 or so. Everything from the regular Skylanders, to Giants and SwapForce. I refuse to buy the Trap Force set.......
    LOL my son has skylandes every version but when with me he is all into minecraft plus i got him a $100 headset and I monitor he plays and talks with age appropriate kids. I did make him block 2 kids for using foul language.

But he had about 50 skylander pieces which cost me a fortune and his mom "lost them"

Comment

I didnt know that you have parenting control at cod and gta5. Eases my mind a little but an 8 year old to be exposed to such violance can cause a lot of harm.

Comment

Originally posted by The Iceberg View Post
        I didnt know that you have parenting control at cod and gta5. Eases my mind a little but an 8 year old to be exposed to such violance can cause a lot of harm.
        OK, I actually just checked and there are no parental controls for GTA. Kinda stupid if you ask me, but the excuse is the game is rated M for mature, thus kids under 18 aren't supposed to play it.

IMO, there still isn't much you can do outside of advise the ex of the your concerns that they are allowing an 8y/o to play a game that is rated 18+.....and wait for your ex to tell you to get bent, they will parent in their house as they see fit. It is very poor parenting IMO, but it is there house. People are allowed to make bad/stupid decisions with their kids so long as it doesn't constitute neglect or abuse etc.

Should your child start to show signs of aggression, use of foul language etc., I would deal directly with the child on it and advise the ex. The only way you are going to get anywhere with CAS or court is if the child starts acting out in school and/or creating issues with their doctors.

Comment

I let my kid 9 years old play CoD from time-time (10 hrs this year or something) I don't really like him to do it but he isn't aggressive and sometimes he tells me his friends can do X and Y so even though I "shouldn't" I like to give some slack.

My issue is that this game is GTA5 - its exceptionally bad otherwise I agree playing most other games isn't to the level of abuse.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/gam...d-theft-auto-v

The strip club part of the game is significant. Even kids think it should be for 14 and over - haha - older than the age level parents think it should be for.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/gam...dern-warfare-3

For CoD, i agree the cinematic parts can be brutal. the multiplayer is "better"

Should your child start to show signs of aggression, use of foul language etc., I would deal directly with the child on it and advise the ex. The only way you are going to get anywhere with CAS or court is if the child starts acting out in school and/or creating issues with their doctors.
          You know what they say, an an ounce of cure is like a pound of prevention!... Oh wait....
          Last edited by Links17; 05-07-2015, 12:57 PM.

Comment

My 9 and 10 year old just recently asked us to get them COD because they play it at dad's. We told them no and explained to them that we didn't feel it was an appropriate game for them to play. We told them Dad can make the rules at his house but at our house games like that are not allowed.

Sucks but there's not a lot you can do about it. My ex also took the girls to see Hunger Games when it first came out. They were 6 and 7 at the time! WAAAY too young for that kind of violence. The youngest was pretty traumatized. *sigh*

Comment

That is because the parent wanted to see it...I mean what next, 50 shades of Grey?

Originally posted by HappyMomma View Post
              My 9 and 10 year old just recently asked us to get them COD because they play it at dad's. We told them no and explained to them that we didn't feel it was an appropriate game for them to play. We told them Dad can make the rules at his house but at our house games like that are not allowed.

Sucks but there's not a lot you can do about it. My ex also took the girls to see Hunger Games when it first came out. They were 6 and 7 at the time! WAAAY too young for that kind of violence. The youngest was pretty traumatized. *sigh*

Comment

Ugh. I've had this issue too with my ex. At his place the giant TV is on constantly and he and his wife like to watch a lot of really violent shows - Dexter, that zombie thing, horror movies, etc. I really wish they would either confine this to after the kids have gone to bed (my/our daughter plus his wife's kid from an earlier marriage, both week-on/week-off, both kids under 10 years old), or better yet, save the gore marathon with Chucky the homicidal doll for the weeks when the kids are with their other parents.

I considered bringing this up with him, but decided it fell within the "his house/his rules" area. Kid doesn't seem too traumatized by it - I've told her that I don't like violent shows and therefore we don't have them at my place. Interestingly, when I got Netflix she was very interested in the "child" settings (which I set up for her). I told her she could watch anything on the child settings without asking me, but if she wanted to watch something that wasn't on the child setting, she had to show me first. She said a couple of time that she was glad she "wouldn't get surprised" by violence if she just stuck to the child shows.

Comment

I've had this issue too with my ex. At his place the giant TV is on constantly and he and his wife like to watch a lot of really violent shows - Dexter, that zombie thing, horror movies, etc.
                  Ugh....how have you come to know that the TV "is always on at your ex' place, and how is what his wife likes to watch a problem for you? I don't see the problem here to be honest Stripes

I mean going as far as talking to the ex wife, might come across as personal issues here, or sign of insecurity. She can easily tell you to go pound salt

Comment

Whenever I pick up Kid from his place, the TV is blasting. Kid also talks about it being on all the time. That's why I infer that's on pretty much constantly.

As for talking to the ex-wife - read my words. I have an ex-husband, not an ex-wife. And as I said, I'm not going to talk to him about it because it's his business what he watches on TV unless/until it hurts Kid. I don't like the fact that he watches this crap with two young girls present, but I don't see signs that Kid is being harmed by it, so it's my issue, not his.

Comment

^ I get that you have a an ex husband, but my comments about the wife, was in response to this....
                      I've told her that I don't like violent shows and therefore we don't have them at my place.
                      I am guessing you meant your daughter, and not the wife whom you mentioned in the same post?

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't being clear there - I meant I'd had that conversation about gore and violence with my daughter. I would never in a million years bring it up with my ex's new wife!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X