Form 13.1 and Accountability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Form 13.1 and Accountability

My ex has been notified that we are now going to complete financial info since he was so high conflict trying to deal with our divorce. He felt everything was his. Honestly, he did. My info is straight forward and no surprises with bank accounts and earnings etc. Everything is on paper and I don't have side job nor do I invest other than some RRSP's. Ex's financial situation is a mess. He had bank accounts I had no idea about, trading accounts whereby he lost hundreds of thousands of dollars of OURS over the years and I had no access to these. He also did online trading in stocks and gambled online with sporting games on BET 365 and who knows what else. He is a person that thinks the law does not apply to him. So, once we each fill out the forms and submit them to lawyers who will review what is next? Do I get a chance to dispute it? He will for sure leave out a lot of "secret" info. Where is the accountability? As usual, the court expects everyone to be honest knowing they aren't I suppose. Before we go forward with courts we are all sitting down for a meeting hoping to mediate. Thoughts?

Originally posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    My ex has been notified that we are now going to complete financial info since he was so high conflict trying to deal with our divorce. He felt everything was his. Honestly, he did. My info is straight forward and no surprises with bank accounts and earnings etc. Everything is on paper and I don't have side job nor do I invest other than some RRSP's. Ex's financial situation is a mess. He had bank accounts I had no idea about, trading accounts whereby he lost hundreds of thousands of dollars of OURS over the years and I had no access to these. He also did online trading in stocks and gambled online with sporting games on BET 365 and who knows what else. He is a person that thinks the law does not apply to him. So, once we each fill out the forms and submit them to lawyers who will review what is next? Do I get a chance to dispute it? He will for sure leave out a lot of "secret" info. Where is the accountability? As usual, the court expects everyone to be honest knowing they aren't I suppose. Before we go forward with courts we are all sitting down for a meeting hoping to mediate. Thoughts?

I asked my previous lawyer this exact thing. I was told that everyone lies on financials and unless it’s a lie you can prove it’s not worth the time to fight it.

My ex totally his money from the sale of his home. Says he can’t afford anything. When I know he made 50k off his home. Bought new home for more money but put small down payment on it. I am assuming he has the remainder tucked away for lawyers fees. I was told nothing I can do about it.

I guess if he really is hiding stuff continue to ask for disclosure on the things in question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The financial statement is mainly to show if they can handle an arrears payment. If they are trying to reduce child support because of expenses the judge won’t even consider it. If they are claiming undue hardship the financial statement will be questioned through unnecessary expenses like cable, meals out etc.

If you are going through equalization and you know you BOTH had assets that they took and did something with, you can question that by showing the money withdrawn from an account that was joint. If they inherited money or were given money after the separation that isn’t applicable.

Don’t put too much weight in the financial statement unless it relates to assets you jointly held during the marriage, involves income they aren’t reporting for child support/spousal support purposes or they are claiming undue hardship.

My husbands ex tried to have all of his (our) assets questioned and wanted more info from his financial statement. The judge told her none of our assets were relevant because there was no claim for property and he was not claiming undue hardship.

Comment

Question: does the recipient and moving party have to file a financial statement? My husband realized on the weekend that his ex never filed one with all her documents.

Comment

Total scam on form

So, I got it back to review. My name is wrong on it...His 2018 80K vehicle is listed as a 15 yr old beater. No mention of the 15k second car he owns. No mention of joint accounts. No mention of his toys that are joint assets (boats, sea doo etc). No mention of the 500k cottage he owns (not joint but still his asset). Is this a joke? How does one get away with this if he has a lawyer? Don't they review it.

Comment

You can request documentation if you know the assets are owned.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X