This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating Proportionate Share

I recently read in one of the posts on the forum that in some cases, proportionate share is calculated by including the total amount of child support received to the recipient's total income.

However, we've always been told to calculate it this way:

Parent A's income from line 150 on Notice of Assessment + Parent B's income from line 150 on Notice of Assessment = Total Income

Parent's income from line 150 on Notice of Assessment divided by Total Income = Proportionate Share.

Is this correct? Or should child support amounts paid and received be part of the calculations?

(I checked the child support calculation workbook, and it doesn't include child support in calculations of proportionate share. So I'm almost fully confident that we're calculating it the proper way.)

Child Support Recieved cannot be used for any income purposes. Child support paid cannot be used for any income purposes.

From everything I've read the way you were told to calculate is correct.

Comment

I agree. Could the post you are thinking of have been referring to spousal support? This should be included (and should appear on line 150).

Comment

if you think about CS as being money paid to the child (or to care for the child) then it is not a source of income. Including it would not be fair. (not that FL is fair!)

Comment

Pfew! Thanks for confirming this for me. Maybe I did just get spousal support confused with child support... I can't remember which post it was in that I read about the proportionate share calculations including support.

Thanks for clarifying!

Comment

the formula you cited
            [Parent A's income from line 150 on Notice of Assessment + Parent B's income from line 150 on Notice of Assessment = Total Income

Parent's income from line 150 on Notice of Assessment divided by Total Income = Proportionate Share.]
            is this only applicable in a 50/50 joint custody arrangement? what would it be applicable in a 60/40 [or 55/45 ] split?
            thank you

Comment

Originally posted by dav66 View Post
              the formula you cited
              [Parent A's income from line 150 on Notice of Assessment + Parent B's income from line 150 on Notice of Assessment = Total Income

Parent's income from line 150 on Notice of Assessment divided by Total Income = Proportionate Share.]
              is this only applicable in a 50/50 joint custody arrangement? what would it be applicable in a 60/40 [or 55/45 ] split?
              thank you
              Nope... I think this is applicable in ALL custody situations when determining proportionate share.

The only time calculations are different is when calculating child support, at which time you would use the off-set method if you have shared (40+%/40+%) custody.

Proportionate share calculations remain the same.

Comment

The only time I've seen/heard of the CS being paid/received being applicable would be in a request for varying CS due to undue hardship.

At that point the worksheets DO include CS paid/received on both ends. (as it's used solely for determining the household standard of living on each side).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X