Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does one pay to adult child who doesn't want the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one pay to adult child who doesn't want the money?

Another question:

In 2017 ex and I avoided arbitration by settling our long running dispute. One of the stipulations agreed to and settled was that I give each of my 2 kids $10,000 for additional S7 expenses while they were in university. I should add that, during their entire time away at school, I continued to pay child support to their mother and also contributed to their S7 expenses.

My ex felt this was the least I could do as she felt I didn't contribute enough, so I agree to pay them $10,000 each after a period of time.

So here we are, and both kids are 27 years old and both of them have *very* well paying, full time jobs and careers. When I asked them about making the payments to them, they both refused saying that they a) never asked for it and b) don't need it because already they are financially self sufficient.

My ex has had a conniption over this and insists I pay them anyway and it is my responsibility to do so as agreed. Both kids told me they would send the money back because they don't want it.

Now she wants to file a court action against me forcing me to pay and them to accept. And if they continue to refuse, she would want that money to be paid out to her in terms of retro spousal support, to which I already agreed and paid a princely sum in early 2018.

Frankly, both kids and I think this is silly and if they don't want it, I have done by part and so have they but their mother insists I follow through.

I will leave my opinions as to why she may be doing this, but to me it's irrelevant. Just looking for other opinions here as to what to do about this matter.
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X