Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:51 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Well the other side (Ontario Public Guardian) certainly has a bigger war chest than you do .... or do they. Legal Aid has to get permission to extend matters and I don't think they typically take on spousal support. I don't know much about Public Guardian and how they go about retaining lawyers and limits on their hours etc.) However, I still don't think this is a cut-and-dried situation where you simply cave.

Something doesn't seem right to me. Perhaps others can chime in with their thoughts?

If the other side has had a revolving door of legal-aid-paid-for lawyers I'd be right pissed and would be looking for some compensation for the 8 lawyers they have gone through (as long as you were not deemed to be at fault).

Interesting case. Thanks for sharing with us (sucks for you I'm sure).
Old 01-24-2019, 08:12 PM

StillPaying is on a distinguished road

More info is needed but I would think it's almost certain ss will be ordered, it's just a matter of how long. One side makes 70k and the other is deemed not capable of taking care of themselves, homeless with no money. She may be able to impute an income for child support, to reduce what she has to pay, but that could be tough given the situation.

I would keep making offers to settle with different options for lump sum and monthly with a specific end date. You should have an idea on how long you may be on the hook for. (Rule of 65?)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:38 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

sounds to me like her lawyer is the only one benefiting here (along with his buddies in the legal aid office)

If the spouse has been indigent for all these years then one has to wonder about the heft legal bills right?

I think a fresh legal opinion is long overdue. Sounds like legal funds are indefinite.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:40 PM

Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

The judge should take into consideration that you have custody of the children and because of his mental illness you always will. The judge will look at many factors when determining what is fair and just and in the best interests of your children. It is not in the childrenís best interest to make the custodial parent penniless or homeless. A judge should take this into consideration when deciding whether or not spousal support if any should be paid by a custodial parent.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:32 PM

phatkid77 is on a distinguished road

Yeah. Iíd fire lawyer and self represent and just let the judge decide for once and for all and be done!
Itís going to be what it is
Offer whatever the calculator suggests for 10yr (half the time married) and that allows him time to either medication or get a job.
However, isnít it like at 20yr marriage youíre screwed for life with SS (thatís if the other never worked a day in their life together tho... )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2019, 06:36 PM

North of 40 is on a distinguished road

I may be off, but his 2 k a month is net. I'd be factoring it in as a gross. I.e. 36-40k.

Also, I can't see how you ended up with a bill in the 120 k range. Someone is taking advantage of you. The assets aren't there to warrant the charge. Your rate is higher then the high end lawyers at Bay and Wellington.

Maybe I saw a typo but your supposed spousal seemed very high. I'd be telling them to hit the road.

I'd be curious whose paying for his lawyer. Then you can develop a plan.

Hope this helps,