This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by momiss2 View Post
    mcdreamy: Considering the manipulation and constant games he's been playing with me despite whats in the sep. agreement. What do you think I should do?
    Only you can decide how much hassle you can endure.

Go to mysupportcalculator.ca and plug in the numbers.
    Add up the monthly CS you would get assuming it stays the same, until she finishes school or reaches the age of 22.

Ask yourself what it would cost to get it? Lawyers usually want $5000 retainer to start, and very rarely would you ever get it back.

If there isn't much to gain and you are ok financially, I'd let it slide. If you need the money to provide for your daughter, then you can try it on your own.

Comment

The manipulation may stop, but I doubt it, if I just let CS slide. It would be worth it if that happened. He does need to owe up to SC though which is only 150 a month. If nothing else I'll get back the cash he took when we separated, and the lawyer fee's it took just to get an equitable sep. agreement. To keep her out of it I'd gladly drop the CS.
      Just tried to speak to x about this and he hung up because of course this is all my fault. Don't know what I'll do now. The drama apparently continues.

Comment

The manipulation may stop, but I doubt it, if I just let CS slide. It would be worth it if that happened. He does need to owe up to SC though which is only 150 a month. If nothing else I'll get back the cash he took when we separated, and the lawyer fee's it took just to get an equitable sep. agreement. To keep her out of it I'd gladly drop the CS.
        Just tried to speak to x about this and he hung up because of course this is all my fault. Don't know what I'll do now. The drama apparently continues.
        Don't talk to him. Seriously. Write. Write clearly, plainly, without emotion. Make an offer you think is reasonable, but be prepared to give a little more.

Comment

so dad says daughter can't have her car unless she stays with him and mom says daughter can't ever sleep over if she lives with dad....

poor daughter, being thrown in the middle.

Comment

Oh, I've never changed my stance on cs being required while the child remains a child of the marriage, pursuant to the definition. I also wholeheartedly agree with the definition. However, I'm also fully aware that I could at any time be the payor, at the whim of said child (mine is now 18).

I plan on letting my daughter know that he wants child support. At 20 she needs to know that he really wants to screw her mother around at all costs.
            I agree kids need to work and put themselves through school which is what I did as well. Also believe they are going to have a much harder time finding suitable careers, even with an education.
            From your thoughts above however, you seemed upset that you would be paying cs for a 20 yr old kidlet if she stayed with him. Now that potentially you could be a recipient, you aren't so upset? Double standard? Cs is payable, regardless of whom is the payor/recipient.

If I were in your shoes, I most definitely wouldn't be having telephone conversations with him -at all. And I would try my best to not let his manipulation and game playing suck me back into the drama. This is water. Sometimes, it's not worth the emotional drain on ourselves to continue the drama, but that's a judgment call you'll have to make.
            Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyDays View Post
              so dad says daughter can't have her car unless she stays with him and mom says daughter can't ever sleep over if she lives with dad....

glad i wasnt the only one who thought that.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyDays View Post

Natural consequence of a family law system that provides a massive cash incentive to the winner of the "suck up to your kids" game.

If family law cared about the children, it wouldn't let them make such important decisions. There is a lot of good talk about shielding the children, but if you are going to put tens of thousands of dollars on the line based upon the decision of a child, you are setting the kid up for a stressful few years.

The daughter has made a decision to impoverish her mother. I think it is reasonable for the mother to strike back. Don't blame the mother, blame the system that puts so much power into the hands of children.

Kids should not have to make those choices, kids should not be allowed to make those choices. Parents should have to argue the best interests of the child in court, and children who ignore the court directive should lose their child support, since they are making adult decisions.

Comment

The system may be wrong, but a child is still a child… and here we have 2 grown adults punishing the child for wanting to live at their other home.

Young children can't decide where they want to live, so we're really only talking about the last few years of cs. One parent already benefitted the majority of the child's life by having extra time with the child and having extra money. By the child switching homes it the teen years, I would assume it had more to do with their relationship with the custodial parent rather than simply the other parent bribing them.

There are laws that stop young kids from being manipulated into switching home, but by their teenage years they are more than capable in making a decision on where they want to live. Sometimes teenagers might go back and forth a few times between the homes. They should never be put in the middle of financials and especially bickering parents.

Why is the daughter looking to impoverish the mother as opposed to just wanting to get away and live with her dad? If you believe that cs is just for the parent's pocket and not the child, then why do you think the child is thinking about money in making this decision.

CS needs to follow the child to cover the extra costs in living, food, activities, etc (moreso in this case where it would be over 60% of the time - actually 100% because the mom won't allow the daughter back if she leaves).

While it seems like you’re coming down on the child, is your position that the child is free to live in whatever home but the cs payment should stay with the same parent forever?
                  Last edited by HappyDays; 05-14-2013, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X