This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPP split

I am reading the Service Canada website and from what I understand, there is no way to avoid CPP credit splitting since we live in Ontario. I was thinking to make an offer of cash/assets in the SA in return for agreement to leave the pension plans alone.

We are both gov't employees, making about the same income, with about 25 more years of work ahead of us. Married for 10 years. Given that at age 65 some low income years will be dropped from the calculation of benefits, I am unsure if it's even worth considering to avoid the split.

Could anyone please confirm that there is no alternative currently to the credit split?

Thanks.

The way to avoid it is not to apply. If your ex wants it, the ex gets it.

Comment

Question:

If you are married for 10 years (say from 25 to 35), and you divorce... You don't retire until you are 65.

Spouse A makes $$$$ and spouse B makes $$.

Is Spouse B entitled to a share of Spouse A's the CPP earnings for those 10 years?

What if they both re-marry?

Comment

Definitely. It's a two way street RS.

Re the remarriage, well those are other years that get split.

Comment

Just one point...the spouse trying to 'split' the CPP only has 1 year to apply for the division. I was almost home free, when in the 11th hour of the 11th month, the ex got a smarter lawyer and had my CPP split.

Comment

One year from when? From the seperation date or from when you get an agreement in place or...?

Comment

I can't figure out what your '1 year' comment refers to. Service Canada says there is no time limit to apply?

As of January 1, 1987 access to Canada Pension Plan credit splitting was expanded and some of the existing rules were changed. The rules are slightly different in each situation.
              If your marriage ended in divorce or annulment on or after that date, your credits could be split if:
              • you lived together continuously for at least one year, and
              • you, or your former spouse, notifies Canada Pension Plan and provides the necessary information and documentation (there is no time limit).
              If you separated on or after January 1, 1987 (and are not divorced), you can have the credits split if:
              • you lived together continuously for at least one year;
              • you have been separated for at least 12 consecutive months; and
              • you apply, or your separated spouse or common-law partner applies (there is no time limit, unless your former spouse or common-law partner dies - in that case you must apply within three years of the date of death).
              Canada Pension Plan (CPP) - Credit Splitting Upon Divorce or Separation

Now I'm confused.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X