Child as a dependent for tax purposes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child as a dependent for tax purposes

Hello, been awhile since I've been on here.

My son has decided he would like to move in with me. This now flips everything and makes me the primary and his mother every other weekend.

If he moves in, in mid-October who should claim him as a dependent for this year's taxes?

Thank you

If it was me, I'd just let her claim him this year and then you start next year.

Comment

That would be something discuss with his mother. If you both attempt to claim it, the CRA just says that nobody gets it. Only requirement to claim it, is if you met the criteria at any time during the year, so you could both argue your each eligible.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-305-amount-eligible-dependant.html

Ethically, since he was with her for over 10 months of the tax year, the mother should claim it.

When you do claim it, enjoy the rejection from CRA as to your eligibility, or if you're lucky, you'll just have to provide multiple letters from all kinds of sources stating that you are parenting the child (can't recall the exact term they use). They'll want letters from Dentists, Doctors, Schools, etc. Read up on it and dispute the rejection if it occurs.

Comment

Thank you everyone

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X