Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spousal Support for Ex Husband after 9 years?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal Support for Ex Husband after 9 years?

Married in 1995, 2 kids.
    Separated in 2002, husband was abusive, charged with Criminal Harrasement, uttering death threats..etc, served jail time on weekends.
    Restraining order issued, ordered to pay child support for the kids, he always earned more money than me. Kids refuse to visit him or have any contact (they had their own lawyer).
    Support enforced by FRO.
    Over 2 years ago, he was fired for stealing..he went on Employment Insurance for 2 years. EI is now up, has not secured a job/alternative income, support is in arreas over $4000, he is enrolling in Ontario Works, and filing for Bankruptcy.
    Ontario Works representative is encouraging him to file for Spousal Support from me....what the heck???

Is there even a chance that I would have to support him after 9 years of separation?

Any guidance would be appreciated...i'm at my wits end after 9 years of lawyers/courts/crap.....

Poor little snowball ex...

It's standard procedure for Ontario Works to try to get people to exhaust every possible avenue before giving them any money. The only way this would work in your case is if you are the world's stupidest woman and agree to it, or get the world's stupidest lawyer. Or draw the world's stupidest judge.

Comment

Absolutely don't sweat anything about this. Ontario Works always encourages this type of rhetoric. Don't respond to any of this unless it's an application to appear, which won't happen. Your ex appears to be spiraling downward and fast, it may be best for you and the kids to stay away/reduce contact with him for a while.
      If he harasses you further with Spousal Support counter by claiming you will go to court and get his income imputed up to minimum wage.

Don't be bothered by this!

Comment

I used to work for OW and yes they need to exhaust all avenue's before giving him monies. I would not even be concerned about spousal, however let FRO know that he will be receiving OW as they will deduct support payments from his cheque. They will be minimal but they will do it. They used to anyways, but I haven't been there for almost 7 years may have changed. They will also do this for umemployment.

Comment

Thanks for the sanity check everyone.
          Absurd as it all seemed, I have heard of weirder things happening...
          I will contact FRO and only respond if there is an application to appeal.
          The kids and I moved 4 hours away from him 5 years ago...they are 15 and 13. They do not have any contact with him, their choice.
          Again, thank you for easing my mind!!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X