Purchased Assets After Date of Seperation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchased Assets After Date of Seperation

My lawyer is on vacation, hence that's why I ask here.
    I've been itemizing assets pre marriage and gifts received and items bought during the marriage. We're still living under one roof but the date of separation was two years ago. During this two year post sep date I've bought a family car, a hobby car and a few tools. All were bought using family income except for the hobby car. She is aware of what I've spent - no secrets.
    >>>>>
    How do I account for the purchases past the date of separation? 50:50 or?
    >>>>>
    My wife has severe depression, OCD and anxiety issues and I was hoping the help she's receiving for the last 3 years would help her to deal with life independently before I pull the plug on this mess. We're both retired and collecting govt pension.
    Thanks

If it was bought using family income then it's a joint asset. You muddied the waters by saying you were separated two years ago but still combined assets (money)

Comment

There is actually not a date but it's been an ongoing theme for about 3 years. She knows that about a year ago I had a consultation with a lawyer. She was pretty upset and that could be the 'official' date we could use. That would make those purchases joint assets for the valuation.

Comment

Surely your lawyer advised you to separate your finances?

At this point, with no separation agreement and presumably no separation of financials, you are merely a grumpy aging couple who don't get along.

...penny wise... pound foolish (you've heard the expression?)

Comment

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Without division of finances, and a clear separation date you both understand (and can prove legally) you are NOT separated. If you are buying a 'family' car you are NOT separated!

Tell her you are now separating the finances, do so, and establish a separation date.

Close all the joint accounts, put her pension and ODSP into her own account, and yours into yours.

If she won't pay her share of bills with her income, keep a spreadsheet of everything you have to pay on her behalf per month. She'll either owe you that total of money during equalization, or you'll owe her ongoing spousal support of approximately the monthly amounts.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X