Sleeping arrangements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping arrangements

Just found out today that all 3 of my kids (2 young girls and 13 yo boy) have been sleeping on mats on living room floor at ex's because they don't have rooms at all. The spare rooms are being used for airbnb long term guests. They wake up in the morning with people stepping around them, no privacy. My son says it'll be this way for awhile and they'll start sleeping in the sunroom. What can I do to get them their own rooms? I understand it's community living but this seems too much.

Originally posted by vocircuspants View Post
    What can I do to get them their own rooms?
    Nothing.

How your ex parents is none of your business. While this isn't ideal and the children should have proper beds and rooms, there is no requirement at law that states they must have their own rooms.

There are families that simply cannot afford separate rooms for all the kids and they should not be punished for simply being low income or otherwise having insufficient funds.

So long as the children are otherwise being cared for in a responsible manner and the necessities of life are being provided, there isn't much you do. You could call CAS, and they may make their recommendations on what is best for the kids, but they will unlikely be able to do much if this is the only issue. And should you call CAS, expect your ex to become hostile and make whatever your parenting dynamic is with your ex substantially worse.

Comment

She's only low income because she refuses to get a job. Choosing to live below the poverty line is ridiculous, especially when my kids have to sleep on a floor like that.

Comment

Unfortunately I agree with HD.

Nothing you can do unless they're in danger.

But I do feel for you, that's really unfortunate and awkward for your children.

Comment

Originally posted by vocircuspants View Post
          She's only low income because she refuses to get a job. Choosing to live below the poverty line is ridiculous, especially when my kids have to sleep on a floor like that.
          There are no laws against being lazy and otherwise being a bad parent. So long as the kids are otherwise cared for, a room isn't a necessity. A proper bed is maybe the bigger issue.

I feel for you and your kids. It sucks. It isn't ideal. Just make sure when they are with you they get a good night sleep and know that there you in your house is always available.

Comment

Alright. Thanks

Comment

How ridiculous (your Ex) - you CAN plead instability that having all these people in and out of the house is not good for them. I'd make an issue about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                How ridiculous (your Ex) - you CAN plead instability that having all these people in and out of the house is not good for them. I'd make an issue about it.
                And accomplish what exactly?

It isn't going to improve things for the kids, unless somehow it magically changes the mother's behaviour, and that isn't likely to happen. All it will do is increase the difficulties of communicating with her.

Comment

Get custody - now i remember you are the guy who is married to the irresponsibly hipster weirdo

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                    Get custody - now i remember you are the guy who is married to the irresponsibly hipster weirdo
                    Um I don't think you remember correctly.

But you can't get custody just because the sleeping arrangements aren't great. You can complain, but that won't change anything. If you think the kids are in danger, call CAS.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
                      Um I don't think you remember correctly.

But you can't get custody just because the sleeping arrangements aren't great. You can complain, but that won't change anything. If you think the kids are in danger, call CAS.
                      No the other guy.

Voir - you might want to start "Building a file" of the various things your ex does.

Comment

I've got a file thanks. And yes hippy dippy ex

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X