This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a benefit booklet from Great-West Life

I am looking for a benefit booklet from Great-West Life; if anyone on here has one, could you please forward along the section pertaining to Dependents; in particular the Definition of Spouse and Child; I have gotten one from another insurance provider and need to know if this is standard or not:

Explanation of Common Insurance Terms
    Dependent: The member's spouse or a child of the member or of the spouse.
    If dependents are insured under the group policy, "spouse" and "child" shall
    have the following meanings:
    a) Spouse
    The person who is married to or is in a civil union with the member, or
    the person designated by the member, whom he declares publicly to be
    his spouse and with whom he has been living on a permanent basis for
    at least one year, or less, if a child is born from their union.
    A de facto separation of more than 3 months will result in the person no
    longer qualifying as the member’s spouse for the purposes of the group
    policy.
    If according to this definition, the member has had more than one
    spouse, spouse shall mean the person most recently qualified.
    b) Child
    An unmarried child of the member or of his spouse who wholly depends
    on the member for support and maintenance and who meets at least
    one of the following conditions:
    i) He is under 21 years of age; or
    ii) He is under 26 years of age and is attending a recognized
    educational institution on a full-time basis; or
    iii) He is mentally or physically handicapped and is incapable of
    earning his own living due to such handicap provided such handicap
    commenced while he was a child as defined in (i) or (ii).

your best bet is to contact the insurance company directly. They can give you the most accurate answer.

http://www.greatwestlife.com/001/Contact_Us/index.htm

Comment

I did but because I do not have a policy with them I cannot get the information.

Comment

I do have dental coverage with Great wife and the coverage can vary depending on the contract. Family coverage covers the ex until you have a divorce order.
        Children living at home until 21 or 25 if attending school.

This is the federal public service plan is with the Great West - details Dental Care Plan (DCP) - Public Service of Canada 1 / 1
        Last edited by Moolight; 04-07-2012, 06:26 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I am with Great West as well. My ex is covered under my family clause until the divorce is final - while seperated, he is still covered.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am looking for the clause in the booklet that defines "Spouse and Child" in a common-law situation when it comes to adding someone to your insurance benefits. For instance how long do 2 people have to co-habit before that person or children can be added as dependents to your insurance benefits. Can someone please copy and paste the clauses pertaining to the definitions of Spouse and Child here or email me the information?
            Thanks

Comment

Now i am confused. I thought you were looking to see how long your ex could keep you on their benefits after separation. Now it seems like you want a common law partner to add you to their benefits.

Comment

No this has nothing to do with "looking to see how long your ex could keep you on their benefits after separation" and I don't believe that is what I said in my original post - in particular the Definition of Spouse and Child. I simply want to know what Great-West Life considers common-law which is defined under "Spouse". Hope this is clear enough for anyone who has this information. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                  No this has nothing to do with "looking to see how long your ex could keep you on their benefits after separation" and I don't believe that is what I said in my original post - in particular the Definition of Spouse and Child. I simply want to know what Great-West Life considers common-law which is defined under "Spouse". Hope this is clear enough for anyone who has this information. Thanks
                  no it isnt what you said in your orginal post but most people want that information because they want to see how long they can stay on the exs benefits. So why are you wanting this information??? If its to see if your common law spouse (just guessing her) can put you on their benefits then they can ask the company.

Comment

Thanks Moonlight; will check out the link.
                    Last edited by first timer; 04-08-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks Moonlight that is exactly what I was looking for.
                      Last edited by first timer; 04-08-2012, 01:06 PM.

Comment

You are welcome.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X