Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't married so there are no wedding pics. I gave most pics that had my ex in them to him. But in old albums, some pics are of him and my son. I can't rip them down the middle only for the reason that I want my son to have some pics with dad. When he's older,- he can have them, and do what he wishes with them.

As for jewelry - there wasn't much to speak of. I see what you mean though - the pics thing can be tricky. For me, having any pics of someone I detest isn't easy, but I just don't look at them. They are tucked into old albums - my son can have them.

Comment

i have kept mine and will keep them. Sure maybe the marriage didnt end up the way I thought it would but we did have some happy times.

Comment

I have to put a penny in here - given my circumstance and the war it created when she discovered that I had indeed followed the wise advice given right here on this great forum. Fairly early on I did go through and put aside a fairly small number of original pictures, some of the kids school pics as they were growing and was carefull to do the fair thing and take doubles if I could, very similar shots etc. I have maybe 10% of the total. Not fair according to the ex but the only thing I am sorry for is that she got the children involved again..... one day they will understand.

These pictures represent a time in my life where I had something to work for in life, something to enjoy in my life, and when time finally wore my body down - It gave me my sense of drive to get up again, if not for me, then for the support of my family. I really do not know if I would have made it this far if it were not for my family. These pictures mean more to me than any other item in the house.

Then from this forum came the next best idea - digitize them and present this part of me to my kids along with a few other things that together will allow my kids to have forever a part of me and how much they always meant to me regardless of what the ex has accomplished here in the last year.

Jewellery to me is more just stones and metal.

Just want to say thank you for suggesting that I take a part that I indeed had a right to while I had a chance - because she would never have given it freely. Today they are in a safe place - and this is where they will stay.
        Last edited by ddol1; 03-31-2012, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I finally got around to unpacking some bins that contained Wedding stuff about 2 weeks ago!

I packed up all the wedding pics and the guest book and the cards we received in a box and will give it to my boys when they are older in case they want to keep any of them.

My wedding dress, still hanging in my closet, is going to be bagged up and taken to good will and donated along with the shoes, I'm certainly never gonna wear it again.

The bitter-sweet part for me was going through all this stuff, while at the same time I'm filling in the paperwork for a joint divorce application, it's time!

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
            Last week, I was emptying out bins and came across wedding pictures. I shredded em all but then I realized I've got other stuff to get rid of. Rings, jewellery, etc. I have no idea what to do with the jewellery. I hate to waste it cause its perfectly good gold and diamonds.

Just wanted some feedback on what other posters did with their wedding memorabilia.
            You can mail me evrything..... gladly tke them off your hands... pm me for my address... LOL

My ex pawned everything. Including my Mother's (and my Moms' Mom's) wedding ring.

I'm not happy about that.

Maybe our son might have wanted it to give to his future wife. Or at least the diamond in it with a new ring or something.

but... c'est la vie.
            Last edited by wretchedotis; 04-02-2012, 03:23 PM.

Comment

My ex pawned everything. Including my Mother's (and my Moms' Mom's) wedding ring.
              That's awful...I'm sorry. She should have at least given you the option to buy them back from her or given you the location that she pawned them. Really mean thing to do.

I've decided that eventually I'm going to have the jewellery remade into something for my children later. Everything else, I have thrown away or gotten rid of so I should probably keep something for them.

Comment

After a failed 30 yr marriage I finally found the perfect use for my wedding dress:

This past halloween a friend was having a party and she dressed up as one of Dracula's brides. It was incredibly funny and I didn't feel sad one iota. As for our wedding albums - at the bottom of a box in a closet somewhere. Son can have them. When I initially split from my ex I asked him if he wanted the wedding pictures and he said he did. I later found out that both he and his also-married girlfriend proudly display both of their wedding pictures in their bedroom!!!!!!!!!! Sick or what?

Comment

Wedding Ring Coffin - A great divorce gift for yourself or loved one

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                    I wouldn't have recommended shredding the wedding pictures. One day in the future your children may have wanted to see them. It would have been better to keep them in a safe place. Children often ask about their parent's wedding and other questions. Although there may be no love between the parents it is often important to demonstrate to children that they were born out of love.

With regards to the jewellery. Russel Oliver can help you with that. He is the "Cash Man".

Good Luck!
                    Tayken
                    I sure am glad to see this topic on wedding jewelry; i am still in the initial stages of separation and never even thought about the rings...i guess especially coz i have not worn them for months...

What about the family name...i took his after we got married...and have been known as such since 12 years ago, including as i moved thru my career...so in a professional manner, it is preferable to keep status quo. Also, both our kids use same...so to generate less confusion in school, after-school, etc. Any thoughts or inputs on this? Please and thanks,
                    2bfree2012

Comment

since my ex turfed me for someone 19 years younger, and she has the same name as me, I couldnt get rid of his surname fast enough, even after 23 years of marriage and 3 children. I havent found it to be a problem that the children have a different last name. As far as career, I just sent out a company wide email that I had changed my surname. I have never regretted going back to my maiden name.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X