This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support Calculator

I thought that this might be helpful. This is a new website where people can calculate support on their own. It should save people a lot of money as they can do the calculations without having to call a lawyer to access the software whenever the amounts are up for review. Below is the link:

MySupportCalculator.ca

Yea good tool as for begining... and free

I did not read thouse SSAG so I tried to play numbers. So I put my info.
    together from Jan.2007 - Apr.2009, 1 child, Party A - 60k Party B - 0

1. Spousal Support Calculation
    If entitlement to spousal support is established, in addition to any child support to be paid by either party above, Party A pays Party B spousal support in an amount to be determined between $150 and $200 per month (with a midpoint of $175 per month) for a period to be determined between 1 to 2 years from the date of separation, according to the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines ("SSAG") - "Without Child Support" Formula.

2.Child Support Calculation
    Party A pays Party B child support of $557 per month , according to the Child Support Guidelines ("CSG")

3. Child and Spousal Support Calculation
    Party A pays Party B child support of $557 per month , according to the Child Support Guidelines ("CSG").

f entitlement to spousal support is established, in addition to any child support to be paid by either party above, Party A pays Party B spousal support in an amount to be determined between $1,052 and $1,342 per month (with a midpoint of $1,195 per month) for a period to be determined between 6 to 18 years from the date of separation, according to the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines ("SSAG") - "With Child Support" Formula.

any comments? I have some but they are not for the publick )

No comments... Anyone still argue for the fairness of all that ?
    Last edited by WorkingDAD; 05-11-2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

So SS is highly dependent on having a CS obligation.

What if you never were married, never lived together (ie one night stand)? Does that mean that your SS obligation would be 0? Or would CS be increased well above the table amounts. It would be hard to order 'Spousal Support' if you never lived together. Seems unfair to have so much SS if you only lived together for 2 years, as compared to 0 if you never lived together.

The calculator perhaps does not implement the guidelines.

But the basics is that you pay SS as long as your child is living with the other parent, even if you were married for only a month.
      Last edited by billm; 05-11-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I found it inaccurate when I tried a split custody arrangement. It calculates 2 with one, 2 with the other rather than the correct calculation (as though we each had all 4 to calculate the difference)

Comment

The SSAG formulas are completely different depending on weather child support is involved. My guess is that when there are children there is a desire to somewhat equalize the standards of living in the two households for the benefit of the kids.

For split custody (say one child with each parent) the calculator properly offsets the one child table amount for each party.

Comment

Here is another calulator. It's been posted here before and I have found it reasonable.

Calculators- Spousal Support With Children

You will see they also have more calculators for different scenarios.
            Last edited by AtALoss; 05-13-2011, 08:52 AM. Reason: adding info

Comment

Originally posted by sticks68 View Post
              The SSAG formulas are completely different depending on weather child support is involved. My guess is that when there are children there is a desire to somewhat equalize the standards of living in the two households for the benefit of the kids.

For split custody (say one child with each parent) the calculator properly offsets the one child table amount for each party.
              Base on that calculations I have to pay more than 50% of my monthly income to the my ex who sit on Ontario Works and fight me to death using legal AID lawyer so I will have kid as little as possible... What left three of us (me, my wife and step-daughter) with close to nothing considering I still have to maintain room for kid clothe and do all driving ...

Do you still believe that this is really "equalize the standards of living in the two households"

I am sorry bu I can not see it even close to the best interest of a child. Only mom...

Comment

Sounds like there is something wrong with the calculations in you case and the percentages you claim. Have it reviewed.

In regards to Ont works,I will relate a little of my experience. Separated. Working at the time. Lost Job. Managed to go 2 yrs with out supports for 2 yrs. So by my witts. When things ran dry I had to turn to this program. So they gave a monthly amount. It helped but they have a provision that THEY go and get the child support for you. Ok. but then they take off dollar for dollar any support of any kind as well as CTB and the like. So as time progressed and things fell in place there was next to nothing left from them each month. $50 a month doesnt help much and they were so screwed up when it came to calculating the work incentive said I was entitiled but they never gave.) So, Ok after all its not a free ride. When I told then I want off the gave me such a hard time as to what was I going to do. Told them I would have to figure that one out for myself.

Point being of that story is that thier sytem does not allow one to collect from multiple sources and maybe as it should be but they helped when I needed it. If your ex is in fact collecting Ont works while getting from you there is something wrong there. but dont assume that they would be getting full benifits might be worth looking at a little closer.

Comment

Originally posted by AtALoss View Post
                  Sounds like there is something wrong with the calculations in you case and the percentages you claim. Have it reviewed.

In regards to Ont works,I will relate a little of my experience. Separated. Working at the time. Lost Job. Managed to go 2 yrs with out supports for 2 yrs. So by my witts. When things ran dry I had to turn to this program. So they gave a monthly amount. It helped but they have a provision that THEY go and get the child support for you. Ok. but then they take off dollar for dollar any support of any kind as well as CTB and the like. So as time progressed and things fell in place there was next to nothing left from them each month. $50 a month doesnt help much and they were so screwed up when it came to calculating the work incentive said I was entitiled but they never gave.) So, Ok after all its not a free ride. When I told then I want off the gave me such a hard time as to what was I going to do. Told them I would have to figure that one out for myself.

Point being of that story is that thier sytem does not allow one to collect from multiple sources and maybe as it should be but they helped when I needed it. If your ex is in fact collecting Ont works while getting from you there is something wrong there. but dont assume that they would be getting full benifits might be worth looking at a little closer.
                  I know that. Next thing after she applied for Ontario Works (btw stated that she single on form as on all other forms) they send me a letter to sign separation agreement with table amount of child support. So I did - big deal I did buy everything for the kid anyway... an yes they did take out exactly this amount from her pay payments...

What I was trying to tell that person who does not work and not because she can not at the end of the year have more income than person who work. and that not because father left kid and do not want anything to do with it. That because mother do not want him to have it just because she will loose ticket to the gravy train. And she does not care that kid will benefit from it heavily

I would have to repeat one more time. When person fight for sole custody without hard reasons that person should be fully financially responsible... I still believe that will change game dramatically...

Comment

Originally posted by sticks68 View Post
                    What if the parents were never together - one night stand? If only table CS is due then there is a logical flaw with the SSAG where in case they standardize the standard of living and the other they don't, with the only difference in this case that the parents lived together for a short time, or not at all.

Not my situation, but equalizing money between two households FOR THE PURPOSE OF RAISING CHILDREN is the job of CS, not SS, and that is handled by CS tables. SS entitlement/amount/duration should not change based on having kids with the payor.

Comment

There is much more to the SSAG than the formulas. That is why the spousal support is a range, and not a number. Many of the factors that have been stated above are reasons why one should generally seek legal advice. Increased costs of access due to distance is one of those factors.

Lawyers and the SSAG are aware that receiving support can dry-up social assistance and that may impact the strategy/results.

Before you even get to a spousal support number, entitlement to spousal support must be established. Can't see spousal support being payable at all in the one night stand scenario.

A basic calculation provides numbers for the basic scenario: Separation after marriage, employment income, no other sources of income, no extraneous factors like increased access costs. Have a peek at the footnotes in the calculation..they a full of cautions and limitations.

There is a directory of lawyers on that site, many of whom offer unbundled services and free consultations. It's likely worth seeing if you can find one close by who for an agreed upon one-time fee can prepare a full calculation for your situation and tell you what to expect and what arguments to make.
                      Last edited by sticks68; 05-14-2011, 09:44 AM. Reason: typos...

Comment

Originally posted by WorkingDAD View Post
                        Base on that calculations I have to pay more than 50% of my monthly income to the my ex who sit on Ontario Works and fight me to death using legal AID lawyer so I will have kid as little as possible... What left three of us (me, my wife and step-daughter) with close to nothing considering I still have to maintain room for kid clothe and do all driving ...

Do you still believe that this is really "equalize the standards of living in the two households"

I am sorry bu I can not see it even close to the best interest of a child. Only mom...
                        does ur new wife work and does she get child support from her childs father?

Comment

Child Support Calculation....huh?

Can someone please verify the child support calculation for me please?
                          I pay spousal support until June 2014, and is a fixed amount each year as determined by our separation agreement. My income varies substantially from year to year and for that reason we recalcualte child support each year. What I can't understand is the rationale that child support is calculated based on my gross income (pre-spousal support) and her income includes the spousal support received in calculating child support.
                          So I end up paying child support based on money I have given her for spousal support. Does it not make sense that my spousal payment should be BOTH deducted from my income AND added to her income when calculating child support???

Thank you

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X