This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• child support - how it's paid

Hi - I was wondering do I have to accept a cheque directly from the parent or can I go through the FPO? The reason I ask is that after 7 months he gave a cheque to my daughter for me - wrong amount too - however I'm leary because he is notorious for NSF and stuff and I know what going to happen and all the hassels - suggestions?

thanks

Hi 2hopefull,

Do you have a court order or separation agreement? If so, does it stipulate that you may have the payments enforced by the FRO should the father default?

Assuming your order or agreement states the above, you could submit your agreement or order to the FRO and have them enforce the child support. The FRO will garnish the father's wages, so you need not be concerned with any NSF cheques. The only set back with going through the FRO is that the enforcement process is very slow, especially if you don't know the details of the father's income source. If you are receiving no support whatsoever, however, you might as well submit your order/agreement now and wait for it to be enforced.

The number for the FRO is 1-800-267-4330. Or, visit their web site at http://www.cfcs.gov.on.ca/CFCS/en/pr...ce/default.htm.

Lindsay

Comment

Hi 2hopefull!

I was in a similar position with my ex last year; I wanted to give him a chance to submit payment without having to go through FRO (MEP, here), but didn't want NSF cheques through my account. I went directly to his bank (not the same branch, but they helped anyway), and asked them to verify the funds so I could cash the cheques. The first couple were good, but the next one was NSF.. the bank was good enough to return the cheque to me, though, and I continued to try to cash it over the next few days. Finally, I had to threaten to press Contempt of Court issues, since that was a court-ordered payment, and he had a family member give me a good cheque. There's usually a charge at the bank for cashing the cheque if you don't have an account there also, but most banks are good about checking the status of the account and returning the cheque to you, if you explain ahead of time why you're trying to cash it instead of depositing.

Comment

Standard NSF clause

I forgot to mention this yesterday...

Most separation agreements include a clause re NSF cheques, stating that if the payor provides the recipient with a cheque that cannot be negotiated with the recipient's bank, the payor will reimburse the recipient for any bank charges that he/she incurs as a result.

So if it's an agreement you have in place 2hopefull, really give it a good read-through and keep an eye out for that clause, or something similar to it.

Lindsay

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X