Looking for Statisician

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Statisician

I am looking for a registered statistician to do a small job. I understand most people in this field are used to analyzing large amounts of data on big contracts; or so I suppose. This would be probably be a matter of a few to perhaps five hours of work. It is a simple thing but must be done by an uninterested third party.

How simple? Purpose? Audience?

Comment

As I have posted here before; my grandchildren have missed devastating amounts of school time. The elder grandchild about 120 days in the past four years and the younger about 70 days. The elder is failing grade six the younger, grade two.
      For the first three years there was a week on, week off schedule. The children very rarely missed any school time on dad’s time; if memory serves me about three or four school absences each over three years; while the children had on average thirty missed days of school per year on mom’s time, except for the period leading up to trial where miraculously they only had thirteen each. Very often both children were absent on the same days. The mother was awarded custody in October of 2019 when the absences went higher than ever before at about forty-three from November to June. By my own reckoning that makes about 93% of the absences on mom’s time and I want to highlight this to the court.
      So basically this person would work off the school’s attendance records and parenting schedule to summarize the information.

Comment

You don't need a statistician. You just need a smart kid with an excel spreadsheet.

Comment

The mother was awarded custody. Is this a final order or temporary? If it is final then what happens on her time is her business. If it is temporary then you just need a calendar sheet or table in word with the dates of absences and time with each parent. Know though that she could argue this detail.

I could be wrong but as far as I know school absences are not enough for a change in custody. He has to prove a material change that requires a change in custody. That is a big mountain to climb.

Comment

Originally posted by Abba435 View Post
            You don't need a statistician. You just need a smart kid with an excel spreadsheet.
            I could do a spreadsheet myself but I am an interested party and I fear would have little value. No, I think it has to be prepared by a professional with credentials to be of any value.

Comment

Originally posted by Resident sceptic View Post
              I could do a spreadsheet myself but I am an interested party and I fear would have little value. No, I think it has to be prepared by a professional with credentials to be of any value.

Doesn’t matter. The date and schedule are facts. There is no issue as an interested party unless you are putting in commentary and unnecessary statements.

Comment

Rockscan makes a good point
                Sounds like the horse has left the stable unless something else material (very) has changed
                If you are assembling factual Information why worry?
                Uphill battle sounds like
                Last edited by Abba435; 05-05-2020, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                  The mother was awarded custody. Is this a final order or temporary? If it is final then what happens on her time is her business. If it is temporary then you just need a calendar sheet or table in word with the dates of absences and time with each parent. Know though that she could argue this detail.

I could be wrong but as far as I know school absences are not enough for a change in custody. He has to prove a material change that requires a change in custody. That is a big mountain to climb.
                  Well I know it’s a big and expensive mountain to climb but the children’s lives are being ruined by these absences. Year after year the older child fails and is pushed through the school system.
                  The average school absentee rate is two to three per year. Psychologist say ten absences per year is catastrophic and these children are missing twenty, thirty per year; for no good reason other than mom’s social life or recovery from her alcohol binges. There’s alienation, negligence and physical abuse issues as well, so the school absenteeism is but one issue. That said, if you are correct and it is “ her business” then there really is no hope for these and thousands of other children in this country. These children are angry, confused and starting to hate school. Statistically, the next stop for them is drug or alcohol abuse and the criminal courts.

Comment

Anyway...

Anyway, I will not be dissuaded, this is what I must do; so the enquiry remains the same; I am looking for an accredited statistician to assemble the information.

Comment

You can do anything you want but remember you are not the parent and you cannot file for a change.

Your SON is the one who is involved and must decide first if he can demonstrate a material change and if he can afford it.

Even if he can demonstrate a material change he then has to get through the system. This type of battle is expensive. Like $100,000 expensive with no guarantee of winning.

You ask these questions and post here but your son is ultimately the moving party. If this woman was so bad to begin with, how did she get custody.

Comment

Bad people get custody. Good people lose it. We all know the system is not perfect and can be unpredictable. The point of this being a very lengthy and costly legal fight is worth attention. As is the question of why she would have been awarded custody. Study that ruling and research overturning. That would go further than starting to try to build a substantive case just yet. Very hard to do but taking about 20 giant steps back and a few dozen deep breaths is my advice. Good luck with your plight and hopefully the kids will get through with as little harm as is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Abba435 View Post
                          Bad people get custody. Good people lose it. We all know the system is not perfect and can be unpredictable. The point of this being a very lengthy and costly legal fight is worth attention. As is the question of why she would have been awarded custody. Study that ruling and research overturning. That would go further than starting to try to build a substantive case just yet. Very hard to do but taking about 20 giant steps back and a few dozen deep breaths is my advice. Good luck with your plight and hopefully the kids will get through with as little harm as is possible.

This case is problematic and OP has been posting about it for two years. It appears from the posts that she is directing the legal action and it has been unsuccessful from the start. CAS was called and decided to not be involved, they have had a request for OCL twice and nothing came of it and even the lawyer that was fired encouraged them to settle. The lack of details is also telling. A chart of absences isn’t going to do anything but cause additional grief. There is a reason why nothing has happened through the courts, CAS and OCL. I have a feeling it has more to do with a meddling grandparent than an issue with the court not seeing through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Resident sceptic View Post
                            I am looking for a registered statistician
                            I don't think "statistician" is a registered profession. Perhaps you mean an actuary, but those guys are crazy expensive.

There is this..

https://www.kolabtree.com/services/statistical-analysis

But again, I think anybody can call themselves a statistician.

This would be probably be a matter of a few to perhaps five hours of work
                            It is always interesting when non-experts decide how long it will take an expert to complete a job.

It is a simple thing but must be done by an uninterested third party.
                            So, I looked ahead to what you want done. You want to figure out what percentage of absences are during the mother's time. Essentially, you need to create a calendar, and colour it appropriately. Pink for mom, blue for dad, nice and stereotypical. Then, mark every day the children have missed. Add up the ones that occur on pink days, add up the ones that occur on blue days.

For example:

Blue: 7
                            Pink: 34

Note that you don't even need grade 4 math to pull this off. It is a simple counting exercise.

Now, I was going to charge you for this calculation, but I've decided to give you the formula for free!

% time with mom = pink / (pink + blue)

For example, using the above numbers:

% time mom done did big bad = 34 / (7 + 34) = 34/41 = 83%

If that is too much, post your pink and blue numbers on the forum and I'll do the calculation for you gratis.

Seriously... only a scammer would take this job. It would be like hiring an engineer to empty your dishwasher. Just make the pink and blue calendar, that's really all the evidence you need.

Comment

Who is OP?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X