being denied travel and vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being denied travel and vacation

I am looking for some advice on a vacation request that is being denied/held up.

We have a court order that gives each of us 1 week of time in the summer, and allows us to travel outside of Canada with written consent.

In April I requested a specific week to take my child on vacation to Disneyland. I sent a written request, it followed all the rules in our court order. He argued for months but finally gave me consent via text (and verbally) in June. Following this I purchase the flight and booked a hotel. Now, 4 weeks before the vacation he is refusing to sign the travel consent letter, even though I recorded a conversation 2 weeks ago where he agreed to go sign the papers at the lawyer. He claims it is unfair for me to take our daughter away so he can’t see her on her birthday. I have arranged to be at Disney on her birthday, and since we are returning the next day he could potentially see her the following day.

I have been debating for a while to go back to court. It has been 5 years and there are still a LOT of problems, including parental alienation and aggressive parenting on his part.

However, this vacation is the first thing that needs to be dealt with. I have the basis to prove he is intentionally holding up our plans but I don’t know what I need to do/what to file (motion? Contempt?) in order to get permission to go. Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by billiechic View Post
    I am looking for some advice on a vacation request that is being denied/held up.

We have a court order that gives each of us 1 week of time in the summer, and allows us to travel outside of Canada with written consent.

In April I requested a specific week to take my child on vacation to Disneyland. I sent a written request, it followed all the rules in our court order. He argued for months but finally gave me consent via text (and verbally) in June. Following this I purchase the flight and booked a hotel. Now, 4 weeks before the vacation he is refusing to sign the travel consent letter, even though I recorded a conversation 2 weeks ago where he agreed to go sign the papers at the lawyer. He claims it is unfair for me to take our daughter away so he can’t see her on her birthday. I have arranged to be at Disney on her birthday, and since we are returning the next day he could potentially see her the following day.

I have been debating for a while to go back to court. It has been 5 years and there are still a LOT of problems, including parental alienation and aggressive parenting on his part.

However, this vacation is the first thing that needs to be dealt with. I have the basis to prove he is intentionally holding up our plans but I don’t know what I need to do/what to file (motion? Contempt?) in order to get permission to go. Thanks for the help!
    File a motion asking that his consent not be required to travel.

Along with the paperwork send him the letter to sign as an "offer to settle"

Comment

Yes, I agree that is the proper way to deal with this. However I'm not sure there is time for it to be dealt with in court. Neither of us has a lawyer right now (and I hope not to ever again!)

Are there any other options? I do think the offer is a good idea, however he will NOT sign one. I have sent many offers previously and he would rather waste the court's time even though what he ends up agreeing to in the long run is often exactly what I offered from the start.

Comment

Yes, I agree that is the proper way to deal with this. However I'm not sure there is time for it to be dealt with in court. Neither of us has a lawyer right now (and I hope not to ever again!)

Are there any other options? I do think the offer is a good idea, however he will NOT sign one. I have sent many offers previously and he would rather waste the court's time even though what he ends up agreeing to in the long run is often exactly what I offered from the start.
        You could remind him that you will be seeking costs.

You have 4 options

1. Cancel the trip
        2. Take the kids without consent (I have never been asked for the paper at the border yet, but others have... It's a risk you take)
        3. Get him to sign without court
        4. Take him to court

Comment

I can't cancel the trip. I am going to conference and piggybacking it into a vacation. I would have to go without her

I would not take her without consent. It would eat my child alive to think she betrayed her dad and he WOULD send the police to the airport and then file. I HAVE consent (written and verbal in a recording, just not the signed paper)

I have given him until Wednesday at 6pm to sign the papers. They are already at the lawyers waiting to be notarized if/when he shows up. I have told him that if they are not signed by then that I will be filing a motion on Thursday.

So would I file a motion for contempt? Would this give me an order to go on the trip? or do I file a motion requesting an order? Can they be done in the same motion? Should I include all the other issues I want resolved or just stick to this one issue? I don't want to keep filing motions but there are several things that need to be dealt with.
          Argghhhh!

Comment

I can't cancel the trip. I am going to conference and piggybacking it into a vacation. I would have to go without her

I would not take her without consent. It would eat my child alive to think she betrayed her dad and he WOULD send the police to the airport and then file. I HAVE consent (written and verbal in a recording, just not the signed paper)

I have given him until Wednesday at 6pm to sign the papers. They are already at the lawyers waiting to be notarized if/when he shows up. I have told him that if they are not signed by then that I will be filing a motion on Thursday.

So would I file a motion for contempt? Would this give me an order to go on the trip? or do I file a motion requesting an order? Can they be done in the same motion? Should I include all the other issues I want resolved or just stick to this one issue? I don't want to keep filing motions but there are several things that need to be dealt with.
            Argghhhh!
            I believe it would be a motion to change.

You are asking that your previous orders be changed to state that you no longer require his consent to travel.

Comment

its an emergency motion based on previous approval… seek costs and failing that a refund of the money to cancel the trip for all parties involved (option A, option b) he can withhold his permission to travel but since he's already provided approval he's going to be on the hook financially for doing so… we had someone try this last year and when faced with a cottage cancellation fee (100% and not cheap) because of their flip flip they changed their mind.

Comment

He claims it is unfair for me to take our daughter away so he can’t see her on her birthday. I have arranged to be at Disney on her birthday, and since we are returning the next day he could potentially see her the following day.
                This is the basis of his argument?
                Tell him he can have a skype call with her that night and that he is making her miss a BIRTHDAY in disneyland - like what kid wouldn't want that!!!!

Comment

Costs would not amount to much (Self rep). After scrimping for this trip I don't have the money to fork out a retainer fee

I would seek a refund of the trip, as I waited for approval before going ahead with purchasing anything. And I would just seek costs for my daughter and myself, as my sister and her husband WILL go without us since this is a business conference. Still means I will seek half the hotel costs. We were sharing a suite

So if I want to file the emergency motion what do I do? PLEASE HELP!

Comment

Doing some reading and it seems this would not be grounds for an emergency motion, but for an urgent motion given that time is of the essence.

Still looking for info.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                      This is the basis of his argument?
                      Tell him he can have a skype call with her that night and that he is making her miss a BIRTHDAY in disneyland - like what kid wouldn't want that!!!!
                      Hmmm...to take an impartial stance here, and not knowing what kind of access-custody arrangement the parties have....

The issue here seem to hinge on the 1 day (the child's bday). The ex is pissed because he won't get to be in the presence of the child, and am sure a lot of us parents can sort of feel this?

Also, why is it that the OP book this period that includes this special day to go to Disney, and not the week before, or after???? This might have alleviated this potential drama and legal costs

Could this be a form of alienation that the OP inronically speaks of in their post i.e. a payback?????

Most separation agreements (civil ones) will state

1. kid(s) spends either parents bday with that parent regardless of who has the kid(s)
                      2. On kids bday, both parents are welcome to attend held at a neutral location regardless of who has the kids

So I know everyone is saying "bring a motion" and all that, and yes the ex might have allegedly (read: we don't know for sure) agreed to a consent, all we have is a he said, she said

NOTE: Everyone should go to Disney at some point in their life, be it in California, Orlando or in Paris. However, it's just as magical on anyday as it would be if it was your bday.

I mean as parents, we have had bdays for our kids on days that isn't their exact bday for one reason or another haven't we?

Comment

OP has stated the vacation was planned following a work conference, the timing was not chosen by them but taking advantage of being there anyways. The other parent can quite easily be accommodated via Skype or face time on the day of amd see the child within 24-48 hours when they return.

Knowing the OP and her situation, this is most definitely not a case of retaliation.

Do you have any helpful suggestions to move things forward re: obtaining travel consent?

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                          OP has stated the vacation was planned following a work conference, the timing was not chosen by them but taking advantage of being there anyways. The other parent can quite easily be accommodated via Skype or face time on the day of amd see the child within 24-48 hours when they return.

Knowing the OP and her situation, this is most definitely not a case of retaliation.

Do you have any helpful suggestions to move things forward re: obtaining travel consent?
                          Maybe you could offer to make sure that he has the child on her birthday next year?

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post

If indeed "it's not a case of retaliation", then the OP should for the sake of the daughter having a magical bday, be the reasonable one, and batter with the ex in this particular situation......going all guns blazing with motion is hardly the solution.

As the immediate response above suggests offer the other party something, if indeed it's all in the spirit of having a Disney bday

Case closed

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X