Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:41 PM

Daughterandfather101 is on a distinguished road
Default Past Conduct in 2014 and Prior an Issue?

Hi All,

Thank you for reading this thread. I am 1 year into the divorce proceedings. I met my wife in 2015 and married in 2015. Daughter was born in 2016 and we separated in 2017. I am seeking joint custody and equal parenting plan, and have always put our daughter 1st. However, my ex is steadfast that I should only be an "access parent" and wants to raise our child on her own.

I fully confess. I was an alcoholic in the past. I have been and am completely sober for over a year now, however my ex is trying to use past alcoholism as her smoking gun to solidify why it would be devastating for our daughter to spend any time with me. I have explained to her several times that I no longer drink at all. Ever. However she is still persisting. She is pursuing trying to demonstrate to the judge on how I was an alcoholic in 2014, etc.

Is any of this relevant? Anyone know of similar cases that have been argued in that regard? Thank you all for your insights!!
Old 06-11-2018, 05:30 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

so you continued to drink after 2014 and stopped about a year ago so around 2016 or 2017? So up until about a year ago you were an alcoholic but are now a recovering alcoholic?

I guess the big thing would be did you do anything stupid while drinking. If you did then she may be able to use that against you but I am not sure how much weight it would hold. What proof can you offer court that you have changed your ways and no longer drink?
Old 06-12-2018, 04:56 PM

youngdad91 is on a distinguished road

lmao. no. she's going to get eaten alive by the courts or any social worker who gets involved.

avoid touching alcohol for as long as possible. she'll eventually give up and start coming up with other non sense to get over 60% access.

I've finally gotten my ex to agree on joint custody and equal access. took me over 3 years but we are getting along really well and have much more respect for one another than we ever did before. hang in there, and be nice.

Last edited by youngdad91; 06-12-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Tags
alcohol, custody, past conduct