Cellphones to kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cellphones to kids

What is the youngest age a child can own a cellphone. My ex wants to buy one to our kid (8.5 years old) in August to, the way she say, keep in touch with her via text messages. I think that's nonsense and am not going to contribute to it. I did ask him how does he feel about it and the answer was as I expected...."yessss, samsung galaxy s5 with youtube access".

She is not going to spend $700 for that kinda phone of course, it would be the cheapest data-less phone possible. He has a few friends who are older than him by 3-4 years and still have no phones.

I would say he is too young. I am thinking it should be when they are at an age where they are going out with friends etc. At 8 he is still either with a parent or under adult supervision so there is no need for him to have his own phone.

Comment

I would say that's too young too. I agree with standing, once they're going out with friends or start staying home alone, then it's time to think about them having one. Age 11-12 is likely when my kids will get one.

Comment

Too young. I'm my opinion, the discussion should start when they get to be teens.

Comment

I'm not sure this would bother me, at 8.5 years. Would the kidlet be texting you as well, when he is with the ex on her time? No data, obviously, and the non access parent shouldn't be texting out to the kidlet when not on their time.

But if kidlet wants to send out the first text to either you or the ex, why not? There would need to be some rules established with the kidlet. You could also limit to 5 phone #'s - you, the ex, and sets of grandparents.
          Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

It wouldn't bother me. My step kids are 7 and 10, they have ipods that have the texting ability when on WiFi. It's great they can stay in touch with their parents, grandparents, etc.

But I agree there needs to be rules attached. If your ex wants to purchase it fine, but at your place you can have restrictions

Comment

My Kids have I pods with the texting app. Mabey your child does too, does mom want something different?

As long as your situation is at least fairly amicable texting is great. But can you imagine if it ends up in court where child text how daddy was slapping or yelling or stomping or swearing or something. I've yelled and a small smack on the bottom very rarely has happen,d. That,s probably enough to have me in some sort of trouble.

All being said, a suprise .......Hi Dad.. is really cool any time.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X