Parenting the teenage brain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parenting the teenage brain

I can't recall which waiting room I was in today, but read this MacLean's article from Jan 2015 this afternoon:

Inside your teenager?s scary brain - Macleans.ca

"use it or lose it". And check the note on alcohol consumption, permitting teen drinking at home in an attempt to keep them safe, would appear to have negative longterm consequences.
    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

What jumped out to me is the "you decide" approach. Wonder if the parent referred to in the article was smoking something. I think children/teenagers need clear, concise house rules.

Yes I have a friend who has 2 teenagers and she and her husband are polar-opposite in their parenting styles. Her husband thinks its ok for their 16 yr old son (dating an 18 yr old girl) to go to a fabulous hotel for a night. Husband also thinks its just fine for teenagers to have booze at home parties with other minors with the thoughts that it is better for them to drink at home than outside somewhere.

I think if parents don't share same values it would make for a very difficult time raising teenagers.

In my day (several decades ago) parents simply didn't allow children to hang out with kids who came from families who didn't have same values. I always thought my mother was a snob but now I get it. She was merely parenting. It was simply put - when you move out and get your own place you can do what you want but when you're in our home you will do what we want.

Comment

I focused in on her research that suggests that parenting your kidlets during the 7 years of their teens could be more important than their infancy years. And that makes sense to me.

Scary that teens can understand the risks, but get more pleasure in taking the risks. {actually, I vaguely remember that stage myself}.
      Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X