Access %

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access %

I have been trying to get my 2 children more for nearly a year due to a job change and better hours however now the ex and her lawyer are only making this about child support.

My agreement says I have joint custody. The agreement say I have the kids on a 2 week rotation: Sunday until 7pm. Wednesday and Thursday overnight. Following week is Wednesday overnight and then Friday-Saturday overnight.

When I changed jobs in April 2019 the ex allowed me 1 extra overnight Sunday (of my weekend). On all of my overnights I drive the kids to school (different city).

I am trying to prove I am over the 40% access however her lawyer disagrees. If it matters, she is also a teacher (makes over $40,000 more than me) at the kids school and the lawyer argues that while the kids are in school she is the primary contact and this time is counted as her time.

She is trying for full table amount child support. I countered with $0 each even if my lawyer says due to the large salary difference the court would likely use set off amount which would be in my favour. I only want my kids 50/50 however she is being vengeful and threatened if goes to court she would go for sole custody.

What are your thoughts? By my calculations I am over 40% by hours, days per month, days per year, overnights and lunches made for school. Her and her lawyer are now ignoring my letters since December.

Thanks

You might want to do a search on the forum on this topic. There are severals things to keep in mind.

First, joint custody is different than shared PHYSICAL custody. If your agreement says shared physical custody then there should be an element for 50/50 time and offset support. Joint custody means you share custody of the kids but their primary residence is with their mom.

Second, adding a day or two doesn’t suddenly change custody and she can just as easily claw back extra time if there is nothing in the order. Most agreements say “additional time as agreed upon by the parties” but that doesn’t mean she HAS to let you have that time.

Finally, you would have to demonstrate a material change to reopen custody. Changed job hours could be a material change but you would also have to demonstrate how that is a benefit to the kids. This sounds easy but material change can be difficult in some cases. If you live far away or in another city your ex could argue the hours make no difference because the kids are still spending a great deal of time in the car.

Like I said, do a search but having more than 40% doesn’t suddenly equal a change in custody. And if you are so adamant that this isn’t about support you wouldn’t have mentioned it three times in your post. It sounds a lot like its about support.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      You might want to do a search on the forum on this topic. There are severals things to keep in mind.

First, joint custody is different than shared PHYSICAL custody. If your agreement says shared physical custody then there should be an element for 50/50 time and offset support. Joint custody means you share custody of the kids but their primary residence is with their mom.

Second, adding a day or two doesn’t suddenly change custody and she can just as easily claw back extra time if there is nothing in the order. Most agreements say “additional time as agreed upon by the parties” but that doesn’t mean she HAS to let you have that time.

Finally, you would have to demonstrate a material change to reopen custody. Changed job hours could be a material change but you would also have to demonstrate how that is a benefit to the kids. This sounds easy but material change can be difficult in some cases. If you live far away or in another city your ex could argue the hours make no difference because the kids are still spending a great deal of time in the car.

Like I said, do a search but having more than 40% doesn’t suddenly equal a change in custody. And if you are so adamant that this isn’t about support you wouldn’t have mentioned it three times in your post. It sounds a lot like its about support.

Very helpful thank you.

Support is not important to me. She is only making it about that and wanting full table amount when I already have the kids atleast 40% of the time. My argument is I shouldn’t have to pay full table support when I have the kids over 40% and my salary is so much less than hers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dad905 View Post
        Very helpful thank you.

Support is not important to me. She is only making it about that and wanting full table amount when I already have the kids atleast 40% of the time. My argument is I shouldn’t have to pay full table support when I have the kids over 40% and my salary is so much less than hers.

Doesn’t matter. You will have to pay support unless you have the kids in a shared physical situation with an agreement or order for offset support.

It also doesn’t matter what her income is. She has full physical custody therefore you pay support.

Don’t believe the 40% hype. It matters little. Do a search on here and you will see the comments.

Again, material change for custody change!

Comment

when I have the kids over 40% and my salary is so much less than hers.
          May not be about money for you, but don't be naive as it relates to your ex. When people fight about over or under 40%, it 98% of the time is about the money implications involved with that magic number (40%).

If your salary is much less than your ex's, and you are over the 40% threshold, your ex would need to pay YOU offset child support. THAT is the most likely reason they are fighting on "whether or not" you are over the 40% threshold.

I was told that judges don't necessarily get into the weeds on counting hour by hour as thats micromanaging time, but rather what you need to achieve is 6 overnights per 2 week period. 6/14= 42%

Comment

Access %

Originally posted by LovingDad1234 View Post
            May not be about money for you, but don't be naive as it relates to your ex. When people fight about over or under 40%, it 98% of the time is about the money implications involved with that magic number (40%).

If your salary is much less than your ex's, and you are over the 40% threshold, your ex would need to pay YOU offset child support. THAT is the most likely reason they are fighting on "whether or not" you are over the 40% threshold.

I was told that judges don't necessarily get into the weeds on counting hour by hour as thats micromanaging time, but rather what you need to achieve is 6 overnights per 2 week period. 6/14= 42%

Which I have 6 overnights in a 2 week period. Status quo since April has been 6 overnights every 2 weeks.

I 100% agree this is only about her protecting her own finances. Where I get confused is why she would demand full table amount, when I respond with $0 ... then she goes silent and no responses since December. If you actually believe ur entitled to full table child support would you not pursue it harder ?

I believe she is forcing my hand and the lawyer says court is my only option to settle.

Comment

Which I have 6 overnights in a 2 week period. Status quo since April has been 6 overnights every 2 weeks.

I 100% agree this is only about her protecting her own finances. Where I get confused is why she would demand full table amount, when I respond with $0 ... then she goes silent and no responses since December. If you actually believe ur entitled to full table child support would you not pursue it harder ?

I believe she is forcing my hand and the lawyer says court is my only option to settle.
              that is exactly what she is doing. She wants you to take it to court and until you do she wont change her stance. Just remember though, once she gets the papers she probably will start following the old agreement to the letter.

Comment

Support is not important to me... My argument is I shouldn’t have to pay full table support

Almost 100% of the 40% fights are about money. On both sides. Your fight does not appear to be an exception.

Side note: This is why I always tell fathers to never accept anything less than 50%. If Dad905 had 7/14 nights, this would not even be a discussion. That one night makes all the difference.

Side note 2: As rockscan hinted, if you currently pay support and you climb above 40%, it is quite likely that you will be ordered to continue to pay support. I

Comment

My agreement says I have joint custody. The agreement say I have the kids on a 2 week rotation: Sunday until 7pm. Wednesday and Thursday overnight. Following week is Wednesday overnight and then Friday-Saturday overnight.
                  How is this 6/14?

Week 1: Wed night, Thu night
                  Week 2: Wed night, Friday night, and possibly Saturday night.

That sounds like at best 5/14, which is under 40%. If you agreed to that 5/14 on consent the probability of you getting it changed is really low.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                    if you currently pay support and you climb above 40%, it is quite likely that you will be ordered to continue to pay support. I
                    I am in the graduated parenting category where I will eventually climb above the 40% threshold. My lawyer ensured to include a clause in the Court Order that once I reach 40%, CS will be offset. Which I think tends to be the norm.

Interestingly, my ex ensured that when I exercise 6 out of 14 overnights, the total # of hours STILL falls short of 40%. I know she did it on purpose to cut the hours and will make a production of things when I reach 6 overnights....

Comment

My lawyer ensured to include a clause in the Court Order that once I reach 40%, CS will be offset.
                      In your case, it will be offset then

However, a parent who just "graduates" to 40% as you said might be disappointed to find that judges don't always find 40% to be all that magical at all.

Comment

Yes, but when is 40% reached? Is it by hours or by overnights. My lawyer said overnights, however my ex thinks its by total hours spent in a month. She actually did the calculations, and when I reach 6 overnights, I am still below 40% due to her cutting all my hours during negotiations.

Comment

Yes, but when is 40% reached? Is it by hours or by overnights.
                          The important (and often overlooked) answer to your question is... whatever the judge feels it is.

The legislation is silent in terms of how that 40% should be calculated.

That is why every parent should demand 50%. If the schedules are symmetrical, it does not matter how the judge feels like making the calculation.

Comment

How is this 6/14?

Week 1: Wed night, Thu night

Week 2: Wed night, Friday night, and possibly Saturday night.

That sounds like at best 5/14, which is under 40%. If you agreed to that 5/14 on consent the probability of you getting it changed is really low.

It was 5/14 for the first 4 months. However now for 11.5 months I have the kids overnight Sunday too which is now 6/14. I changed jobs which allowed me to drive the kids to school on Monday morning. When we separated I worked at 8 which wouldn’t allow me to drive them to school.

Her lawyer has filled the separation agreement and submitted a motion for change now. I meet with my lawyer on Tuesday to discuss my next options. Long road ahead it seems.

Comment

That is why every parent should demand 50%. If the schedules are symmetrical, it does not matter how the judge feels like making the calculation.
                              Thanks Janus, much appreciate your thoughts. It was clear to me that my ex was trying to extend CS as long as possible to line her pockets. I had to choose between the option of either giving her an extra year of CS, or to extend litigation (and legal bills) to a trial that wouldn't take place for another year anyway.

When asked for definitive answer, my lawyer said it was offset CS occurred when I reach 6 overnights in a 2 week period. But he also said that worst case scenario is that I have to pay for a few extra months until I graduate to that 7th overnight.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X