Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 03:18 PM

Duped is on a distinguished road
Default Clarification...

I just recieved this note from my Lawyer and for the life of me have no clue what it actually says...

"The motion has been adjourned and I am putting together Minutes that will hopefully meet your requests and get the matter settled.It is interesting that Your EX now realizes that the property issue is not ended by her bankruptcy."

What does the motion has been adjourned mean?

What is putting together the minutes mean?

Thanks

Duped
Old 06-14-2006, 04:33 PM

Lindsay has a spectacular aura aboutLindsay has a spectacular aura aboutLindsay has a spectacular aura about

Hi Duped,

When a court date has been adjourned, that means that it is no longer going ahead. Adjourning a motion means cancelling the upcoming scheduled date, but leaving the possibility of bringing the motion back to court if necessary.

Minutes of settlement are drafted when a party has accepted the other party's offer to settle. The offer to settle will include the basics of what is agreed upon, and the minutes of settlement is just a meatier version of the accepted offer to settle. It's much like a separation agreement.

Assuming the minutes are drafted and everyone signs, the minutes will be submitted to the court to show that all matters have been settled. At that point, the court will discontinue your proceeding.

I hope this helps.

Lindsay
Old 06-14-2006, 07:13 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

duped,

It appears that they just realized that they won't have success in their motion.

lv
Closed Thread