X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custody issue not biological child

Hello-
    I have another question as thing are getting deeper. My wife and I got togeather when she had a 14 month old son. from early on he started calling me daddy and I embraced this and treated him as my own. we are now 7.5 years later and she has just told him I am not his father. He never knew and she is not even certin who ther father is. we never tried to track that down and we have never looked for a dime of child support from his biological father. but now she tells me that I have no rights to him even though she herself has always even put down that I was his father. All I want to know is have I lost him or am I also entitaled to custody of him because I have raised him as my own for so long. I have 2 other children and as far as everyone knew untill yesterday there was no differene between them and I dont not want to seperate them when I have my part-custody of the kids because I want him as much as the others because regardless of DNA he is my son.
    Thank you for reading this and if any of you have any imput I am thankfull for it.
    Thank you

Look up "in loco parentis". You should be required to both pay support for him, AND be entitled to access.

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
      Look up "in loco parentis". You should be required to both pay support for him, AND be entitled to access.
      And Custody...See Section 21 of Children's Law Reform Act if your from Ontario.

Children's Law Reform Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.12

Application for custody or access

21. (1) A parent of a child or any other person may apply to a court for an order respecting custody of or access to the child or determining any aspect of the incidents of custody of the child. R.S.O. 1990, c. C.12, s. 21.

lv

Comment

You have acted as a parent to the child and he has never known otherwise, until his mother told him so. I sure hope (but don't expect) that she told him with your support and cooperation that you aren't his bio dad.

Mom's off her rocker is she thinks you have no rights. It's the child who has rights, and they damn well include having a postive relationship with you.

Comment

As stated above you absolutely have access rights. My son isn't biologically mine and I have full joint custody. A father is a father, DNA be damned.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X