Upcoming motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming motion

So I have a motion coming up next week. I'm a bit nervous because I don't know whether or not I will have to give any oral argument. Does anyone have experience with this? Is there usually oral argument at a regular motion or is it all written?

At my recent motion (Section 7 expenses) the lawyers argued it, but only what was written in the materials. It was civil though. Now looking back I think I could have done it myself without a lawyer. You just have to know whats written by heart and keep your cool. Also thinking quick on your feet helps. If your a nervous type, hopefully you will have a Judge with some patience. Its not a good time to get frustrated or let your emotions get the best of you.

Comment

I'm not really nervous about the motion itself, it's just the speaking part. I'm not good at arguing, but I don't have a lawyer. I did write a factum though, so I'm hoping I won't have to say much and that the judge will actually read the motion materials.

Comment

How soon is your Motion? Can you get to the court house before that and sit in on a few Motions to get a feel for it?

Comment

I have to travel 2 hours to get there and it's first thing in the morning, so I doubt there will be any motions for me to listen to unless there are other parties up before us.

Comment

The judges try to read the materials before hand, that's why it's important to keep it them short and to the point.

If it's not too late, try to write down your key points and what you will say in reply to theirs.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X