video games for school aged children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video games for school aged children?

seems this is yet another controversial topic. Child and I do play in moderation among many other things we do, such as hiking, swimming, exploring, going to the park, having play dates and sleep overs, birthday parties, amusement parks, and taking vacations.

Can the child playing video games be turned on me as a parent in any way ? Can they argue that to be all that the child ever does at my house? There are many great things we do, such as painting, arts and crafts, reading, writing, board games, playing and taking the dog for a walk, biking, spending time with siblings, grandparents, etc.

I know there are parents who are absolutely against video games, and I would hate any of the professionals involved with my child and case to be one of those. The child does have an i-pad that is used at the other parents house and games played on, and at daycare, and lots of screen time at daycares and other parent's house, including inappropriate cartoons such as Family Guy for a 7 year old, so I would think it could just as easily be turned around on the other parent.

Thoughts and comments? Do you and your kids play video games, i.e., Nintendo, I-Pad, etc ?

Can the child playing video games be turned on me as a parent in any way ?
    If you mean in court...no.

Do what you want with your kid on your parenting time. You spend a lot of time in the weeds. You're a parent, use your own judgement on what is appropriate for your kid. You know your kid better than anyone else and parenting should never be done on consensus.

Comment

I am anti-screen time in all forms for children (as I type this from my laptop at a coffee shop...) but I'm sure other people have different experiences. I used to teach and volunteer at my son's school so I have seen first hand the effects of screen time on kids. I didn't have a TV growing up, for what it's worth.

Comment

You could head off any anticipated problem from the ex with a child psychologist's assessment (paid for by you of course). Doesn't hurt to find out if your conservative computer gaming is having an adverse affect on your child anyhow.

I see no problem with this if it is done in moderation. I hate that today's generation don't know how to socialize (noses in cell phones) face-to-face. If I were parenting I would have very strict house rules on time played. It sickens me to think that schools allow electronics (cell phones, ipads) on premises. With this in mind, I would favor private school setting.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X